CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Maybe this is a very common question but it's quite specific for me.

I'm 21 now, and was what is known as a "porker" for pretty much all my teenage years. Now I am 5'11, 69kg and work out a lot and feel fantastic for it. My problem is that although I am now thin I have a very slow metabolism which is quick to put on weight, therefore eating a lot of food would surley mean I put on a lot of fat. I eat very healthily these days, no more big macs, no crisps, biscuits etc, and am still trying to shift the last little ring of podge under my belly button I've carried since losing the weight (which I lost through determined starvation practically as I didn't exercise back then) so am still eating relativley little.

But is it possible to increase overall size, or bulk without gaining fat? Working out has visibly improved my muscles, but not my overall size. I assume the amount of food you eat has a large amount to do with it, but I fear the more food I eat the more fatty weight I will gain.

Another point to mention is that I was working out vanity muscles for a long time like so many other people in the gym and have only been doing crossfit for two months. If it's a case of keep on crossfitting I'm more than happy do that, I'd just like a few insights from people who may have also wanted to bulk up a little.

Cheers,

Graham
Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Graham,

I think it's very possible to put on a good amount of muscle if you just keep at CrossFit. Here are a couple of threads that discuss what can happen on CrossFit (as well as some links to other threads within those threads--well worth reading as well):

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/6186.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/4601.html

There are many other threads that discuss the amount of muscle one can expect to gain on CF--just use the Search function above.

Also, a lot of the gains you will or won't make are gonna depend on how effective your nutrition plan is. In brief, in order to put on more muscle, you're going to have to increase your performance in the WOD. In order to increase your performance, your body will demand additional fuel to meet the higher energy demands that are required for elite WOD performances. That energy is likely going to need to come from dietary fat, so that you don't disturb the insulin/glucagon balance that occurs when protein and carbs are kept at healthy levels.

Just some food for thought (pun intended, I suppose) to get you started...

Ask away if you have more questions.

Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Graham, really examine why you want to "bulk up". It is very hard to lose fat and add muscle at the same time, without the use of drugs. Your in this for the long haul so my recommendation would be: Eat 3 Zone meals and 2 snacks. Do not add extra fat blocks. Get your body fat below 8%, then re-evaluate. You will look "bigger" with less body fat, because your muscles will be more defined due to less fat under your skin. Now if you want to bulk up you could up the fat blocks and possibly up the protein. In short: lose the fat, re-evaluate physique goals, adjust as necessary.