CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #351
Chad Smith

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I think that is a great way to do it. Maybe they could even help you with a pure strength training program for a period of time? In any event if you do that you give them the chance to keep your business. Nothing fairer than that.
Yeah exactly. I'd feel really bad if I just up and left them suddenly. I'll tell them Crossfit isn't in line with my goals right now and I'll see what they can do. If the can't help me I guess I don't have much of a choice.

Thanks for the help Chris.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #352
Chad Smith

Profile:

Update: talked to one of the owners and she suggested focus training (either 1 on 1 or in a group) it would cost more money but I think it would be worth it. So I'm looking into that, and seeing if theres a way I can cut back on the metcon volume for a while. I'm also looking into if I can come in before a class and work on strength work. They suggested I could do strength work after a WoD but from what I've read on the board that doesn't sound like the best option (correct?)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #353
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Why do you need "focus training" if you can go train under an experienced powerlifter for (presumably) a cheaper price? Sounds like they're just trying to sell you additional small group training which may not be what you're looking for.

And the fact that they suggested you do your strength work after the day's metcon suggests that they don't know much about getting people stronger.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #354
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
Update: talked to one of the owners and she suggested focus training (either 1 on 1 or in a group) it would cost more money but I think it would be worth it. So I'm looking into that, and seeing if theres a way I can cut back on the metcon volume for a while. I'm also looking into if I can come in before a class and work on strength work. They suggested I could do strength work after a WoD but from what I've read on the board that doesn't sound like the best option (correct?)
The one on one sounds great if they will do what you want them to do and are capable of doing so (and you feel you can afford it).

Strength work after a WOD is not the way you want to do it. The fact they suggested that makes me think the one on one may not be a good thing. Is there another CF box in your area?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #355
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
The one on one sounds great if they will do what you want them to do and are capable of doing so (and you feel you can afford it).

Strength work after a WOD is not the way you want to do it. The fact they suggested that makes me think the one on one may not be a good thing. Is there another CF box in your area?
Nope, this is the only box around.

Quote:
Why do you need "focus training" if you can go train under an experienced powerlifter for (presumably) a cheaper price? Sounds like they're just trying to sell you additional small group training which may not be what you're looking for.
That is true and that has crossed my mind a lot since I talked to them. The coaches are both around my age and do have crossfit certifications but I think going to train with another lifter who has 35 years of experience and multiple records under his belt would be a lot better for me. As much as it would suck to quit the box.

One of the things one of the coaches asked was "Why do you think you can't get strong doing this?" in reference to metcons. That kinda struck me the wrong way since it goes against everything I've read. I have gotten stronger, I do admit. However if I want to optimize my strength gains I need to focus on that. They talked about conditioning and how strength is only one aspect of fitness. While I agree that strength is a part of it, it carrys over to other things.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #356
Chris Mason

Profile:

Tell your coaches to get the Westside Powerlifting Cert and they would have a whole new understanding.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #357
Chad Smith

Profile:

Thanks for the advice Chris (and Eric as well) I appreciate it. I know the head coach has a powerlifing cert but I'm not sure if it's the Westside one or not.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #358
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
One of the things one of the coaches asked was "Why do you think you can't get strong doing this?" in reference to metcons. That kinda struck me the wrong way since it goes against everything I've read. I have gotten stronger, I do admit. However if I want to optimize my strength gains I need to focus on that. They talked about conditioning and how strength is only one aspect of fitness. While I agree that strength is a part of it, it carrys over to other things.
Haha, yeah, they don't really understand how to get people strong then. Sure, an absolute novice can see strength gains from doing low weight/high reps stuff in metcons, but that's because someone in that kind of untrained state can probably add 50lbs to his squat by spending 30 minutes a day on a stairclimber. Doesn't mean it's the most efficient way to get people stronger, and it definitely won't last once someone is past that completely untrained status. For anyone other than that novice, you need to be lifting heavy (i.e. in the 1-5 rep range) on the big lifts several times per week.

I think your plan to go train under this powerlifter is a good one if strength is your most immediate goal...you can always come back to CF later on and regain your metcon capacity. Be sure to ask him about integrating some conditioning if you want to keep that up--don't just go throwing extra stuff in there on your own. But even the Westside guys doing pure strength programs include stuff like sled work for GPP purposes, so it can be done even on the most intensive strength programs if you're smart about it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #359
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I think your plan to go train under this powerlifter is a good one if strength is your most immediate goal...you can always come back to CF later on and regain your metcon capacity. Be sure to ask him about integrating some conditioning if you want to keep that up--don't just go throwing extra stuff in there on your own. But even the Westside guys doing pure strength programs include stuff like sled work for GPP purposes, so it can be done even on the most intensive strength programs if you're smart about it.

I asked about conditioning as well and I was told I could go in cycles. That way I could optimize both my strength and conditioning gains. From what I understand strength takes a lot longer to lose then conditioning.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #360
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
His name is Jerry Marentette, he's been involved in power lifting for over 35 years. So I'm feeling pretty confidant he can help me reach my goals. I recall reading here that conditioning doesn't take very long to get back if you do it right.

Part of me is kinda concerned about leaving my box since I know there will be pressure to stay. I have just under 2 months left on my contract at my box so I'm debating just canceling now and starting to train. Its a tough choice.
I know Jerry. He's a good guy and there are several other lifters who are quite strong at his club. It would be a good place to train.