CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #281
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Komutanon View Post
Chris, you skipped my question
Well, I'm not the biggest fan of the Wendler program nor do I think GSLP is anything fantastic. The truth is most of the strength programs popular in the CF world are simplistic programs which will certainly work, but are not optimal in my opinion. I am a firm believer in Westside although I recognize it is not the only way to get strong. I do believe it is the best way because it is loose enough to adjust to the individual.

If your main goal is strength then I do not think 3 WODs per week is best. You want to do just enough to maintain the majority of your conditioning without interfering with your strength progress. From my experience that is 2 WODs per week done on off days from strength training.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #282
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
Chris, thank you. Really.

I'm definitely open to ideas. I guess I like the LP programming because it's dummy-proof. Squat M & F, DL on W. ABA on bench and OHP. Hard to mess up, for now.

I've read threads and boards about how "easy" Westside programming is, but I just don't see it. When to do what... bands, chains, etc. just seems too complex for someone training alone in their garage
Get one of Louie's books from www.westside-barbell.com. If nothing else you will get some new ideas for your training.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #283
Dan Komutanon

Profile:

Thank you! I will research the Westside program. Doing the WODs is addictive but I will work on cutting it down to twice a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Well, I'm not the biggest fan of the Wendler program nor do I think GSLP is anything fantastic. The truth is most of the strength programs popular in the CF world are simplistic programs which will certainly work, but are not optimal in my opinion. I am a firm believer in Westside although I recognize it is not the only way to get strong. I do believe it is the best way because it is loose enough to adjust to the individual.

If your main goal is strength then I do not think 3 WODs per week is best. You want to do just enough to maintain the majority of your conditioning without interfering with your strength progress. From my experience that is 2 WODs per week done on off days from strength training.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #284
Cory Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Get one of Louie's books from www.westside-barbell.com. If nothing else you will get some new ideas for your training.
Hey Chris,

Of the books on his site, which one would you recommend the most? I just visited the shop and there are a few pages worth of books.

Thanks!

P.S. - Is it ok if I PM you with a few questions about strength programs?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #285
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Hahn View Post
Hey Chris,

Of the books on his site, which one would you recommend the most? I just visited the shop and there are a few pages worth of books.

Thanks!

P.S. - Is it ok if I PM you with a few questions about strength programs?
My top two would be:

The Book of Methods
Supertraining

Sure, you can PM me if you like.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #286
John C Corona

Profile:

Because of a different thread, I am wondering:

If an athlete wants to do a powerlifting meet, and the bench press requires that pause at the bottom, how much should one train that way (50%, 25%, 100%)? What if you do not do a PL Meet at all, should we train with the pause at the btm? Will one develope more power if 'training' with the pause than without, meaning are there benefits or carry over from one to the other?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #287
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Because of a different thread, I am wondering:

If an athlete wants to do a powerlifting meet, and the bench press requires that pause at the bottom, how much should one train that way (50%, 25%, 100%)? What if you do not do a PL Meet at all, should we train with the pause at the btm? Will one develope more power if 'training' with the pause than without, meaning are there benefits or carry over from one to the other?
Training with a pause would just be a good variation for someone not planning on competing. If you do compete the majority of your training can be without the pause, but you want to make sure you have the movement down pat in time for the meet. It is an error not to practice the pause before a meet.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #288
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I guess this would be my number 2 question since I already asked one. And just to say I do appreciate this thread.

What are your thoughts on box squats as a max effort lift for a raw lifter? I've been hearing arguments either way. The negative argument against it seems to be the pause at the bottom will cause the unequipped lifter to be less powerful out of the hole when you go back to regular squats.

This seems counter intuitive to my understanding of what the box squat does because it seems like releasing the tension at the bottom of the lift and negating the stretch reflex before the concentric phase would make you stronger out of the hole right?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #289
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I guess this would be my number 2 question since I already asked one. And just to say I do appreciate this thread.

What are your thoughts on box squats as a max effort lift for a raw lifter? I've been hearing arguments either way. The negative argument against it seems to be the pause at the bottom will cause the unequipped lifter to be less powerful out of the hole when you go back to regular squats.

This seems counter intuitive to my understanding of what the box squat does because it seems like releasing the tension at the bottom of the lift and negating the stretch reflex before the concentric phase would make you stronger out of the hole right?
The reason some raw lifters experience a reduction in their strength out of the hole if they exclusively use box squats is because they push off of the box when they perform the concentric (i.e. they do it wrong).

With that said, to answer your specific question, I think it should be used for a ME movement for the raw lifter keeping in mind ME movements are varied weekly and most lifters will work through a sequence of 4 different ME movements. I also think the raw lifter should also include a standard back squat in their ME rotation.

The beauty of box squats are they provide all of the benefits of the standard squat and they spare your knees. I firmly believe in their extensive use for both raw and equipped lifters.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #290
Ross Barrett

Profile:

Hi chris,

since you believe that west side barbell training generally gives the best strength gains is there a template or training plan to follow?

Also does it incorporate any oly lifts?

Cheers

Ross