CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-04-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
Andrew Hutton

Profile:  
"The CrossFit dietary prescription is as follows:

Protein should be lean and varied and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Carbohydrates should be predominantly low-glycemic and account for about 40% of your total caloric load.
Fat should be predominantly monounsaturated and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
"
If Im a 170lb. 6'3" ectomorph trying to bulk up, should I follow a different diet?? What should be changed?? Suggestions??
Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
Jon Pappas

Profile:
I've got the same question. I'm 6'1" and 175 lbs. The main suggestion I've heard on this board is add more good fat. So things like olive oil, fish oil, and nuts.

But where the hell do you add more olive oil when it's already all over my salads?? I eat a ton of nuts everyday and I'm still not gaining. I'm at the point of going anti-paleo and adding milk to my morning fruit smoothies. I don't have time during my workday to scarf down more vegies.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:07 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Check out John Berardi's Massive Eating at t-mag.com I had some success with his approach, in that, You determine how many calories your body needs based on weight, body compostition, lifestyle, etc. and then you add to that caloric intake to gain weight. The key to this diet is that fat and protein should not be in any meal together. So basically, if you have 6 meals a day, then 3 of them should be protein and carbs only and the other 3 being protein and fat only. Its a real good approach, and Nowadays I automatically feel reluctant to having carbs and fat in the same meal. Good luck

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
Roy

Profile:

Im sorry. I meant fats and carbs should not be in any meal together. ooooooooooooops!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Jon,

I think I've heard of some people actually sipping olive oil throughout the day in addition to using it in their meals. Of course, it sounds as if you are pretty busy during your workday.

Roy,

Does the massive eating protocol call for absolutely zero carbs and fat being mixed in a meal, or only small amounts. I thought I read somewhere (Eades?) that said if you don't have at least a small amount of fat with fruits and veggies that all the good stuff in them do not get properly absorbed by the body.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 12-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
Andrew Hutton

Profile:  
Nice t-mag.com rules. Ive already started putting together the Get-Big Diet. All I have to do now is decide what foods to eat.

But once I get to my target weight, how can stay that way and not continue to gain, or lose, weight?? Is that what my basal caloric intake will be??
Old 12-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

Andrew, The bigger you get, the more calories you will need to maintain/get bigger. I believe once you hit your target weight and cant get bigger, then your diet will simply be a maintenance rather than a bulk up. The bigger you are, the more calories you burn. So just keep upping it until you reach your goal. and then if you're satisfied with your BF%, keep the diet the same, otherwise, you'll have to make some changes.

Ryan, I remember he mentioned that during the fat/protein meals, try not to exceed 10 grams of carbs. Didnt mention whether fibrous or active. Also, during the carb/protein meals, do not exceed 5 grams of fat. Thanks for pointing that out. I totally forgot.

Cheers

Roy