CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Drew Leonard

Profile:
Feedback needed for a potential "Box versus Box" competition series

Hi all,

I would love some feedback - particularly from box owners and trainers - on an idea I've been kicking around for a new competition series: "Box versus Box" (or BvB). Any and all feedback is appreciated, even if you think the idea is total crap. Here's the gist:

-I would create a website that encourages boxes to create a team, and would organize those teams into local "leagues" of up to 8 teams.
-Each league would have an Rx division (athletes completing workouts as prescribed), and a Scaled division. Boxes would ideally have a team in each division.
-Each team would be comprised of 8 or more athletes, with at least 3 men and at least 3 women on every team.
-All athletes would receive a BvB t-shirt with their team's colors and the name of their box. Athletes would each pay approximately $65 for a year of participation.
-Every month of the competition, at any point during the second weekend of that month, each team would compete head-to-head against another team in their league. One team would host the other at their box.
-Each head-to-head competition would include 7 workouts. The first 6 would be completed by one or a few athletes on each team, the last would be a "relay" that included 8 athletes per team.
-With the help of a Level 2 trainer, I would post the workouts and movement standards on the Friday night of the second weekend of every month.
-Team captains would be responsible for scheduling, judging, and reporting the results of each competition.
-League standings would be updated with each result.
-After seven months (meaning each team would have faced every other team in their league at least once), the top two teams in each league would compete head-to-head in a league championship.
-Winning teams (in both divisions) would receive a custom plaque to hang in their box, declaring them as the fittest box in their region for that year.
-After a few months of offseason, the series would begin again the following year.

Potential issues:
-Is this asking too much of box owners/trainers, who already give so much time and effort to their athletes? Even if a non-trainer captained the team, the concept still requires owners to open their boxes at least 3-4 times a year for a head-to-head competition, and likely to monitor/judge the competitions.
-Is it naive to assume that these competitions could be self-judged without excessive arguments or controversy?
-During the Open segment of the CrossFit games, many boxes and athletes are already committed to the Open workouts every weekend.
-I haven't researched the insurance aspect of the concept, because I first wanted to gauge the general interest level, but I recognize that this would be a potential issue.

Potential benefits:
-Increased camaraderie, community and pride within participating boxes, which is what drives so much of CrossFit in the first place.
-The Scaled division would provide a competitive outlet for novice and intermediate athletes, which doesn't currently exist in many regions.
-The opportunity to visit other boxes in your region and meet other CrossFitters in your area.

Thanks for reading such a long post, and thanks in advance for any feedback that anyone is willing to provide.

-Drew
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Erik Glynn

Profile:
Re: Feedback needed for a potential "Box versus Box" competition series

That sounds like a great idea. I've wanted a way to compete more often, especially with other boxes.

We have an affiliate on-campus at our university and competition motivates most of us at the box.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Drew Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Glynn View Post
That sounds like a great idea. I've wanted a way to compete more often, especially with other boxes.

We have an affiliate on-campus at our university and competition motivates most of us at the box.
Erik - thanks for the feedback. I'm really glad to hear that you'd be interested in this type of competition series.

Do you happen to own or help to train at your affiliate? The reason I ask is because I am concerned that this competition concept would appeal to the athletes that get to participate, but would be asking too much from box owners/trainers without providing them enough in return.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Erik Glynn

Profile:

I am the founder and president of the University Of Alabama's CrossFit program (as well as student). I told my vice president about a 'box v. box' idea and we both really like it. There are 3 other boxes in town and we have close ties with them, this idea would go over great here in Tuscaloosa.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Drew Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
I am the founder and president of the University Of Alabama's CrossFit program (as well as student). I told my vice president about a 'box v. box' idea and we both really like it. There are 3 other boxes in town and we have close ties with them, this idea would go over great here in Tuscaloosa.
Perfect - thanks for the info!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Erik Glynn

Profile:

Any word on when you'd like to have your website up and functioning?

It sounds like a good idea. I did some searching and haven't found anything else like it.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Drew Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
Any word on when you'd like to have your website up and functioning?

It sounds like a good idea. I did some searching and haven't found anything else like it.
I'm hoping to spend the next few weeks speaking to bow owners and trainers about the idea and, if there's enough interest, have the website up and running by late summer and have 2013 be the first "season" of the competition.

Have you mentioned the concept to any of the other box owners in Tuscaloosa? Were they interested?

Thanks for the support,
Drew
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Andrew-
Over the past several years, we have had some good competitions among local boxes in the DC Metro area.
I think you will find a lot of support as long as it is WELL ORGANIZED.

edit:
I will say - 7 months is probably way too long. If it will be a best of 7 series, then 14 weeks is probably better, and perhaps just 7 weeks.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 01-12-2012 at 02:18 PM.