CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #21
Leigh Howard

Profile:
Re: tough mudder beginner

A team of us did it a few months ago in Austin TX varying in athletic ability...all made it through the finish.
I did not train for it, just did my normal Crossfit routine however I really should have ran more to prep myself, so my personal recommendation is start running!
It was a lot of fun and an experience to remember. We are going to try and do another one...this time I will run a ton more in advance but all in all Crossfit's conditioning worked for me.

Have FUN with it!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
Brian Kellogg

Profile:
Re: tough mudder beginner

I did it in Maryland in September with a friend from high school, his girlfriend and a friend of theirs who is a trainer at a decent globo gym. They don't do Crossfit but they are all in good shape and probably have more natural athletic ability than I do. I went on a few runs of 5 miles or more and did hill sprints a few times, but other than that I really didn't do anything to train specifically for TM apart from my normal Crossfit and karate schedule plus a weekly rec soccer game and perhaps a yoga class here and there for active recovery. The TM obstacles were fun and much more challenging than those on any other obstacle race I have done but I succeeded at each and every one of them. The running was no problem and I found myself constantly fighting my urge to press ahead and leave my teammates in the dust. I don't think you really need much more than Crossfit, apart from maybe a little extra running on your own, which is more of a psychological confidence thing than anything else, at least for me. In fact, I started doing mud runs largely to put my Crossfit gains to the test, not the other way around.