CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Damien Archambault

Profile:
Re: tough mudder beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Karolewicz View Post
Hey guys trying out cf and was wondering if following the wod each day will prep me for my September meet of tough mudder. If not any recommendations will be accepted.

Also with just starting out my endurance for running isn't that high. Is it ok if I cut down the runs until I gain some lungs?
Any thing you can do will help. TM is actually what got me into cross fit. I only had about six weeks of training. I got to where I could run 5 miles runs on the flat land. The race event was hard on me but our team finished in about 2hrs and some change. We did walk most of the up hills as most did. The part that was hardest that hurt me was the down hills towards the end. The tendon on the outside of my knees were killing me. This year I will much better prepared by working on my flexibillity that was the culprit, as well as core strength. All other advice that has been mentioned will help.

The cold water swims was the real shocker, even if you know how to swim. But, all in all it was a fun time and look forward to running agian June 10 at Beavercreek Colorado
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Mike Karolewicz

Profile:

Well today I will b attempting Nate. Thing is that I goto Golds gym. So muscle ups will b hard without rings. And I assume handstand push ups won't b tolerated. Any tips or ideas I can do..for muscle ups I was going to do pullups and dips and to replace hspu I was going to do FBI shoulder presses. But what lb should I consider doing?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Mike McGee

Profile:

I didn't do any "special" training when I did the Tough Mudder last October in VA, just my normal CrossFit routine. If i had it to do over again, I would definitely do more running, especially hills. The obstacles were easy. If you are in decent physical shape and can handle your own bodyweight, you should have no problem with the obstacles. However, the rest of the course sucked. For a majority of the time, we were walking (you couldn't physically run) up and down the ski slopes at the Wintergreen Resort. Of the 10 miles, there was only about a 3 mile stretch that wasn't a hill. Depending on where you are going to do the Tough Mudder, I would definitely add some "specialized" training.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
But for training would the main site wod do justice. I have 9 months to get in shape. I usally just do 531 for lifting no cardio. I can't wait at all. It's gonna be hello but I'm prepping for this race and to be in greater health.
I'd say mainsite would definitely allow you to complete tough mudder, but 531 + hill sprints and other conditioning listed would allow you to compete in the tough mudder. You don't really need 531 for TM though. Great strength program nonetheless.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Lisa Stephenson

Profile:

I did the Wintergreen TM last year. I did not do any special training at all, just did my usual WODs. I was bruised like crazy the next day but wasn't sore at all and I didn't have a problem with the running. A lot of people that are really in shape had trouble with the hills but if you have been doing CrossFit, they aren't bad. (Well, they're bad but you will be better equipped than most people to power through.) Also, I recommend this video for some tips on how to walk/run hills.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/09/e...-or-hills.html

Lisa
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Yes main site is fine to get ready. Youll find though that after a few months of scaling and doing your best to WOD that you will have more energy to add a wod or some skill training to your day or even rest day. This I think is a good idea!! Just dont overtrain and stay with the palo/zone type diet. I add a protein shake after my wod and snack on peanut butter and natural jelly (no high fructose corn syrup) and no bread. Breakfast is some bacon and hardboiled eggs. I'm no firebreather but i know this stuff WORKS!

As for the walking.. trust me you will be. The VA TM had almost 9k in elevation changes. It was on a ski slope! the double black diamond slope was over 1200 feet alone and straight up! Some fit looking guys just sat down. NOT ONE TMer ran it that I saw. The object is to help others finish and then you finish. Its awesome. Wounded warriors run it, groups of soliders with "in memory of" shirts on run it and so desk jockeys.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
Mike Karolewicz

Profile:

So how should I start my cardiovascular training. Should i start with running hills or flat land. For what its worth wod was a 5k and I had to stop at 1 mile for a rest I was dying... Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
So how should I start my cardiovascular training. Should i start with running hills or flat land. For what its worth wod was a 5k and I had to stop at 1 mile for a rest I was dying... Thanks for all the help.
If you find 1 mile challenging, I'd go with flat runs until you can run 5k fairly comfortably. When it comes to hills, less is more IMO.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Jennifer Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Archambault View Post
Yeah it was short and sweet, but there was one guy just behind me that got shocked and forgot to close his eyes during the face plant. Man I felt bad for him
You should be running 4/5 miles 3/4 times per week before the event. Pace yourself and make sure that you are well hydrated before the race. It's understandable that you want to do well and give it all you've got; but make sure that you are putting it into perspective...you aren't paying your mortgage with your winnings. Do it as a challenge, you are one of the elite that can actually complete this obstical.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
Max Salmen

Profile:

The fastest way to boost mileage in my experience is to run intervals. It will allow you to get lungs quickly and work on form. Sand and hills are the best for improving foot turnover without having to think about it too much.

Search Youtube for Eric Orton, he has some great free info for drills and form. Also look at the running section of Mainpage.

If you are feeling like you might be over-training as you lead up to the event, clock your heart-rate at pace and try to maintain it on a cycle or rower for one of your runs each week. For example I am doing 2 8milers/week at a 7min pace (150bpm-hr) and my ankles are sore: So I will sub a 56min session on the spinner bike trying to maintain 150bpm-hr the entire time and consider that a run.

Practice running downhill - - Elbows up and out, torso leaning forward, hips rolled forward. This is actually a kind of technical thing and it will hurt if you are fatigued and taking hard pounds to the heels on each stride because you are uneasy running down steep. Learn to do it right and this can be your "rest" time.

Be wary of anything a "runner" tells you. Tons of them are way too big on piling on junk miles that will only lead to boredom/injury/wasted time.

On raceday wear clothes that will not retain much water, especially socks. If you are afraid of being cold a cheap stocking cap that can be ditched at the first water obstacle will be the most effective. Always come out of the water with your motor running, it will be COLD and you need to keep your blood pumping to get warm and avoid feeling like concrete.