CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #41
Melody Glasgow

Profile:
Re: Arizona...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
So, which dangerous hobbies do you have? Did you know that squatting below parallel will totally wreck your knees?

This isn't a road that anyone who enjoys a fringe sport should be eager to follow.

Katherine
I'm not talking about a fine for hobbies, sports, etc... I'm talking about a tax on "foods" such as candy, soda pop, etc..that are known to cause obesity, diabetes, and other health problems. They already use this method on tobacco and alcohol - we all know these things in excess will damage your health. If you don't want to pay the tax on the insert-vice-here, don't buy the twinkie/cigarettes/bottle of whiskey....
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Glasgow View Post
I'm not talking about a fine for hobbies, sports, etc... I'm talking about a tax on "foods" such as candy, soda pop, etc..that are known to cause obesity, diabetes, and other health problems. They already use this method on tobacco and alcohol - we all know these things in excess will damage your health. If you don't want to pay the tax on the insert-vice-here, don't buy the twinkie/cigarettes/bottle of whiskey....
At the same time, there's the scientifically valid argument that some people's genes predispose them to becoming obese. Let's map their genome and tax them extra starting the day they're born if we're going to go down that road.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #43
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Glasgow View Post

Vice taxes are about making money, not stopping the "vice" I'm not cool with the gov't banking on anyone's misery. How much ETOH tax goes to treatment? How much cigarette tax goes to prevention? I'd guess not a lot.

Many hobbies are known to cause harm as well, see Jared's skydiving example. Or squatting below parallel, or not exercising with careful deliberate form.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #44
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Vice taxes are about making money, not stopping the "vice" I'm not cool with the gov't banking on anyone's misery. How much ETOH tax goes to treatment? How much cigarette tax goes to prevention? I'd guess not a lot.
They are about making money, but they have the convenient and proven side benefit of reducing the vice.

You're right that that money doesn't end up going to treatment and prevention, which is a damn shame.

I'd rather see real nutritional education (especially aimed at medical professionals), no more corn subsidies, the collapse of Monsanto, organic and responsible farming everywhere, humane treatment of animals raised for food, a seriously scaled back government entity, and while we're at it how about peace on earth so we don't need a standing army. None of this is going to happen anytime soon, so in the interim I'll settle for a vice tax to help save the US from the obesity epidemic that was created on a petroleum based food system that is making our country fatter and stupider.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #45
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Melody,

How can you favor more taxes and smaller government? The two are mutually exclusive.

As for the rest, I like tinfoil hats too.