CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #31
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:
Re: SS novice seeking advice

@Jason: Immediately after visiting the site I could see that the beard was a requirement. Thankfully, I can probably fulfill that requirement within a week or two. Just a few questions about 70's Big:

I read through the PDF of the workout posted earlier, and it looks like I'd be working out MTThF with conditioning on set days. Would having soccer T/Th/Su interfere with this? As you said, it's no good interfering with the workout as written, so that could be problematic. If I could keep the same days in a different order, that might be just what I need.

The program also recommends no more than 20 minutes of conditioning, so wouldn't 60 minutes be pushing it a bit?

Sorry to be poking so many holes in sound suggestions, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I commit to something new.

@Nick: One can only hope.

Once again, thanks for all the answers, I think I've learned more today than in months spent sifting through all the misinformation out there. I owe you guys.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #32
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Changing days won't be a problem, but I'd definitely do the workouts in order. You can even do a 2-on, 2-off schedule, making your "weeks" 8 days long effectively. (trying to keep up with that always screwed me up though). Drop the rx conditioning until soccer is over, and focus as much effort into recovery (eating big and resting) as you put into your training. You're young enough that you should be able to pull it off.
Food for thought... I'm working with a 59 yr old co-worker, no lifting experience. 12 weeks ago I was teaching him proper deadlift form. 2 weeks ago he pulled 315 for a double and has showed no signs of slowing in his progress. Despite all of my cajoling, threatening, and begging, he refuses to stop running 3x per week and I can't see that it's hurting him at all. You should be fine.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #33
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Jason: I'm sold.

So I'm gonna give the 70's fit + soccer a go with increased food and rest and see how that goes. I'm thinking 1.5-2x my current intake + GOMAD + Protein Shakes should make up the difference in calories.

Many thanks to all who responded, you've really been a tremendous help in getting me on the right track. Hopefully all goes well and I'll be back in a month posting a shining testimonial.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #34
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Planeaux View Post

So I'm gonna give the 70's fit + soccer a go with increased food and rest and see how that goes. I'm thinking 1.5-2x my current intake + GOMAD + Protein Shakes should make up the difference in calories.

Many thanks to all who responded, you've really been a tremendous help in getting me on the right track. Hopefully all goes well and I'll be back in a month posting a shining testimonial.
I like you. Now, do what you said you were going to do so that I don't have to take that back.

Start reading over on 70's Big because if you have questions, you can post them there. Also, I would go ahead and do some vids for form check now. Post them on the SS forums - where you should also be reading - in the technique section.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #35
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:

Since you're stalled at this point, lower the weight on your working sets down to where standard progression will put you back at your current 5rm 3-4 weeks from now. Work on good form at the lower weights. At 5 weeks you'll begin setting pr's every week easily. Where you stall out next will be hard to predict, but you should get a couple of good months out of the program.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #36
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

17% bodyfat my ***. More like 9-13 or so.

You could skip the conditioning sets of 70sBig while you run around kicking a ball. It's alright, I enjoyed soccer as a kid too but not as much as strength training.

It's been noted by many that when they are on strict Paleo, their CF performances are lower than when they are Zoning. The culprit seems to be less calories. The only other way to do it is to eat massive tons of food like a football player.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #37
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Tamara: That's motivation enough right there.

I'll definitely check out the SS boards and 70's Big and make sure I'm doing it right. Just read the Food FAQ, awesome stuff.

@Jason: Sounds good, I definitely don't want to be burning out the second week cause I'm already at my max. I'll see where things go, but I'm thinking a good goal weight at ideal BF is around 185-190. So assuming I'll put on some fat too while I'm gaining, I think I'll shoot for 190-195.

@Blair: After doing a comprehensive (5 minute) google search, I can see that that estimate was way off. And, as you so nicely put it, I'll be eating a ****ton more than I do now, so I'm sure that'll help a bunch.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #38
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Dont emulate, but be inspired.....

www.epicmealtime.com

not exactly WFS, but they bleep out the profanity!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #39
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
... questions about 70's Big...
The program also recommends no more than 20 minutes of conditioning, so wouldn't 60 minutes be pushing it a bit?

Sorry to be poking so many holes in sound suggestions, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I commit to something new.
This is not poking holes in it. The 60-90 minutes of soccer as often as you play is not ideal, but sort of what the situation is. SS has no allowance made for conditioning at all - so you do a disservice to the program with any conditioning. 70s big makes room for conditioning, so that can account for your soccer.

Also, I agree big time with the beard thing! Make it happen! Good luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #40
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Milton: EpicMealTime videos are absolutely amazing. I honestly wish I had the resources to attempt some of the things they make. And I'll try to remember to post beard/body progress as I go.