CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
joe shumsky

Profile:
re: muscle-ups

now, i feel it's more or less obvious that the muscle-up is the king of upper-body movements... this thread actually isn't about that. what i'm wondering is whether or not in these videos i see of people doing sets of multiple consecutive muscle-ups, they're being performed fresh at the beginning of a workout, as a stand-alone exercise (i.e. the ONLY exercise of the workout), or simply as a PART of a workout.

the most i've ever been capable of were sets of 3 (and that was either at the beginning of a workout or as a stand-alone exercise). i tend to favor full body routines, in general, and can't really seem to wrap my mind around doing ANYTHING before clean and jerks and/or jumps... and as i usually do muscle-ups as my third exercise, lately i've only been able to do one at a time.

is there anyone here that can perform multiple muscle-ups in a fatigued state? and how many are we talking about here?

i.e. how pathetic AM i at muscle-ups?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: muscle-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe shumsky View Post
is there anyone here that can perform multiple muscle-ups in a fatigued state? and how many are we talking about here?
I'm not one of them, but there are plenty of folks who can do MUs when fatigued.

Me...I can't do any.

Yet.

- Mark
Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

When I worked out at my affiliate over the summer, I would do some muscle-ups after the workout for fun because I like doing them. I would usually get three, sometimes four; these are kipping. Strict I can get like 1-2 after a workout. If I'm fresh, I can get anywhere from 5-7 kipping and 3-4 strict, depending on how my grip holds up. Do you kip or do them strict?

It's not pathetic if you can only do one or two muscle-ups because they are challenging both technically and strength-wise, especially if you have just started doing them. I've had my rings for over three years, so I've had my fair share of ring work in getting them. Just keep at it and you will be able to get more of them.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe shumsky View Post
now, i feel it's more or less obvious that the muscle-up is the king of upper-body movements...

The muscle up is basic **** as far as gymnastics goes. A kipping muscle up is a joke...

If anyone could do a slow and controlled one, like you see in the ring routines sort of - where they basically move at the same speed throughout the entire ROM, now that would be pretty impressive.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 11-18-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Gymnasts can do them pretty much all day long: they're simply a way of getting up on the rings, which is where the real fun starts.

Katherine
Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Do more to get better at them... who woulda thought
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Ryan M. Scott

Profile:

For those who can't do a muscle-up (such as myself) would ring dips and false grip ring pullups be a decent way to start training for them?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M. Scott View Post
For those who can't do a muscle-up (such as myself) would ring dips and false grip ring pullups be a decent way to start training for them?
And assisted transitions, row transitions, etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Ryan M. Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
And assisted transitions, row transitions, etc.
Thank you
Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I haven't played on rings for almost a year now... I jumped on a pair the other day at a gym, after a heavy dumbbell lifting session, and was able to do 10 strict muscle-ups. However, I couldn't ever hold a rings-turned-out support once I got to the top... I used to be able to do L-sits with my hands turned out. Muscle-ups are basic: play with them, do different variations, and make sure that you are consistently doing them. Devote half an hour a week to training ring strength; before or after a workout, or on a rest day. Think of it as skill work. Muscle-ups are cake when you put the effort in.