CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Joshua Desmond

Profile:
Being forced to take a break for 3 months.

So I went to my cardiologist for my yearly check up a little bit ago and had an echo done. My echo came back with a slightly enlarged heart (left ventricular), with my LVIDd measuring after 61mm. Although my cardiologist and I are in agreement that this is most likely a result of my training, he believes it would be best to dial down training for 3 months, come back in for another echo after that, and if all is well, resume crossfit then.

This is actually a little disheartening as I just finished 29th at the 2010 Mid-Atlantic Hopper Challenge and was going to be switching up to a hybrid program to work on some weaknesses, but que sera sera. For the time being, I got the ok to go back to my old ways (something is better than nothing). I plan on using all the basic lifts incorporated with some running, but cannot do anything as intense as Crossfit. I am going to be dialing back to a total body workout M/W/F followed by about 20 mins of cardio. I have been working on a new routine, but to be honest I almost puked while putting it together. On that note though, if anybody out there has any good ideas of a program I can use to try to minimize my losses, it would be greatly appreciated. I am disappointed to say the least, but look forward to keeping the losses to a minimum and look forward to getting back at it in March.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Being forced to take a break for 3 months.

Not a doctor... but it sounds like anything with an emphasis on strength and technique rather than metcon and endurance should be fine. Strength work, oly lifting, ring stuff, handstand pushups, rope climbs... there are lots of things that appear in the CF Games but don't necessarily require massive cardio intensity to improve.

Katherine
Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Have you thought about getting a second opinion? Possibly someone who deals with more athletes?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Joshua Desmond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Have you thought about getting a second opinion? Possibly someone who deals with more athletes?
That was the second opinion. The first Dr, my regular cardiologist wanted to throw medicine at it, told him hell no. Needless to say, he will no longer be my regular cardiologist.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Joshua Desmond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Not a doctor... but it sounds like anything with an emphasis on strength and technique rather than metcon and endurance should be fine. Strength work, oly lifting, ring stuff, handstand pushups, rope climbs... there are lots of things that appear in the CF Games but don't necessarily require massive cardio intensity to improve.

Katherine
I have squats, deads, presses, and even bench already planned out. I think working on HSPU's, since they are my biggest weakness, might be a good idea too. Also, working on form is going to be a big deal as well. I was told by my judge at the challenge that my form was crap on a few of the lifts, so thats another area for me to concentrate on.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
David Fletcher

Profile:

If I had to take 3 months off anything intense I would devote it to bodyweight strength and skills.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Desmond View Post
I have squats, deads, presses, and even bench already planned out. I think working on HSPU's, since they are my biggest weakness, might be a good idea too. Also, working on form is going to be a big deal as well. I was told by my judge at the challenge that my form was crap on a few of the lifts, so thats another area for me to concentrate on.
I think you've answered your own question. Put a 3 month plan on paper that adresses your weaknesses, be prepared to tweak as necessary, and follow through, done.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I'd say give starting strength a try. My strength numbers have shot up tremendously in just 2 months.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

You don't look very old. I am curious why you have a regular cardiologist? Do you have some kind of congenital issue?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Desmond View Post
That was the second opinion. The first Dr, my regular cardiologist wanted to throw medicine at it, told him hell no. Needless to say, he will no longer be my regular cardiologist.
Awesome! My wife and I found a Dr. that doesn't use the "prescribe something every visit" approach, he is great!

As for keeping things going while dialing down the intensity, can I recommend this program from the site 70sbig? Find it here WFS. Its a great linear progression, I have got excellent results from it! You can even work in some light conditioning if you want.

Good luck!