CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Jean Masson

Profile:
Eczema / Leaky gut?

I was wondering if you guys had any idea what the real cause of eczema could be. Before you ask, yes I've tried eating paleo and cutting out dairy, but to no avail. High dose fish oil (about 10g) doesn't improve eczema at all for me. I basically had it since I was born so it can't be related to a food I've been eating recently.

I found many websites that claimed that leaky gut was responsible for eczema. However, they always want you to buy some book to get the cure or order some supplements online so it's probably a scam...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Eczema / Leaky gut?

Increased gut permeability is due to inflammation...

How long did you do Paleo? In most cases, Paleo should eliminate most gut inflammation unless you're still eating some things that are aggravating the system

Could also be problems due to lack of sleep or (over)training too.

Nutritional deficiencies as well possibly
Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Increased gut permeability is due to inflammation...

How long did you do Paleo? In most cases, Paleo should eliminate most gut inflammation unless you're still eating some things that are aggravating the system

Could also be problems due to lack of sleep or (over)training too.

Nutritional deficiencies as well possibly
Well I've been eating more or less Paleo for over a year now. I tried to go strict paleo but I didn't see any improvement so now I incorporate some non-paleo foods to my diet. It's hard to believe in paleo when it clearly has no effect on me.

Do you think I should try and take more fish oil like, say, 15-20g a day?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Amanda Rodriguez

Profile:

I had the same issues for years. Doctors didn't know what to do, i tried everything. Turns out I had to take gluten, eggs, dairy, processed foods out of my diet and it wasn't overnight in any way. I would say my eczema, gut problems, fatigue, headaches and more went away within 5-6 months but I had to be strict. When I would eat a cheat meal it would hit me harder and started to be a pain and not worth it at all. The biggest change was taking out eggs, cow milk products and gluten. gluten for me is the worst! turns out goats milk doesn't not contain the protein most people have issues with. http://askdrsears.com/html/3/t032400.asp

to date i am eczema free, fart free, stomach bloat free, acne free, headache free, joint pain free...

good luck and i hope you get better

check out my blog which has some stories about my diet www.fitxfiles.blogspot.com
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

I would go strict like Amanda says... try to get quality (see grass fed) meats too.

Fish oil might not be a bad idea either... but that's just throwing lots of stuff at the wall to see if it sticks.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Rodriguez View Post
I had the same issues for years. Doctors didn't know what to do, i tried everything. Turns out I had to take gluten, eggs, dairy, processed foods out of my diet and it wasn't overnight in any way. I would say my eczema, gut problems, fatigue, headaches and more went away within 5-6 months but I had to be strict. When I would eat a cheat meal it would hit me harder and started to be a pain and not worth it at all. The biggest change was taking out eggs, cow milk products and gluten. gluten for me is the worst! turns out goats milk doesn't not contain the protein most people have issues with. http://askdrsears.com/html/3/t032400.asp

to date i am eczema free, fart free, stomach bloat free, acne free, headache free, joint pain free...

good luck and i hope you get better

check out my blog which has some stories about my diet www.fitxfiles.blogspot.com
Thanks for your reply. Did you have eczema since you were born though? My guess is that you can't cure something you were born with, every time I read about people who cured their eczema, they only had it for a few months/years.

I'm really beginning to lose faith in paleo...it's really frustrating, I keep telling people about the paleo diet, and yet I'm the living proof that it doesn't work for everyone
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Masson View Post
Thanks for your reply. Did you have eczema since you were born though? My guess is that you can't cure something you were born with, every time I read about people who cured their eczema, they only had it for a few months/years.

I'm really beginning to lose faith in paleo...it's really frustrating, I keep telling people about the paleo diet, and yet I'm the living proof that it doesn't work for everyone
What's your bodyfat like?

When I get overweight I can suffer from psoriasis. Get my bodyfat down to 10% or so and it clears. Probably worth noting that in order to be that low in BF I do have to eat pretty clean, so what exactly is causing it I couldn't say. I can eat clean when overweight tho and it won't clear.

As above tho, you would need to be strict for a longish period of time in order to let your body recover and fix from the inside out..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shortt View Post
What's your bodyfat like?

When I get overweight I can suffer from psoriasis. Get my bodyfat down to 10% or so and it clears. Probably worth noting that in order to be that low in BF I do have to eat pretty clean, so what exactly is causing it I couldn't say. I can eat clean when overweight tho and it won't clear.

As above tho, you would need to be strict for a longish period of time in order to let your body recover and fix from the inside out..
Well I don't know about the exact percentage but I do have some belly fat, I still had eczema when I was skinny (my diet was terrible back then) but it seems to have been slightly worse since I've put on some weight..and fat. I tend to overeat since I'm trying to gain some more weight, but I doubt that's healthy.

I'm gonna try a 3-day fruit cleanse/detox and see if it helps.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Have you tried probiotics? Could possibly be due to candida overgrowth in digestive system.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Fruit cleanse detox wont help much if at all honestly... but go for it if you think it will

Probiotics is also a good idea. good call post above me.