CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Alexander Heyne

Profile:
Gaining weight is impossible!

I realize like I'm sounding like a classic hardgainer whiney tool .. but after 3 months of eating like a beast (although no milk), I literally gained about 4 pounds and then quickly lost it once I got sick for 2 days and was eating little. First time I've been bedridden sick in my life (23 years), and all my hard work down the drain.

I guess I'm here because I need help re-evaluating what I'm eating, and perhaps need a *realistic* estimate for how quickly I can gain weight.

I've been doing the heavy compound lifts, I've been eating every 2-3 hours, and I've been resting plenty.

I've chalked it down to 1 thing: not eating dense enough foods. I was eating TONS of nuts, peanut butter, moderate amounts of meat.. but I just wasn't seeing huge gains.

I plan on eating nuts, peanut butter, avocado, (re-adding olive oil shots), and pasta almost daily for the next few months to see what I can do.

My bodyfat is very low (maybe 5-6%), so I'm OK with gaining a little bit of fat. I can't drink milk as I've recently become lactose intolerant (Ironically, last time I tried to gain weight in college...)

I'm 6' 2" 155 lbs, and I'm looking to see 175 or 180. Looking to put skinny in the past.

Any advice for people who have really put on muscle and gained weight?.. kindly beat some sense into me.

The plan is by christmas (when I go back to visit my family), to have my family not recognize me. That's a solid 5 months.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Gaining weight is impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Heyne View Post
I've chalked it down to 1 thing: not eating dense enough foods. I was eating TONS of nuts, peanut butter, moderate amounts of meat.. but I just wasn't seeing huge gains.

I plan on eating nuts, peanut butter, avocado, (re-adding olive oil shots), and pasta almost daily for the next few months to see what I can do.
What do you have against meat? If you want to build muscle, you need protein, and meat is the best source. There's nothing wrong with nuts in moderation, but I wouldn't recommend them as a primary calorie source.

Could you post quantities and calorie totals? I would guess that you probably need to be eating at least 4000 calories per day for serious gains.

Could you tell us a little more about your training? Are you doing Starting Strength, or some other program? Just lifting, or metcon too?

Katherine
Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Alexander Heyne

Profile:

Ah yeah --

Nothing against meat, I just don't naturally crave it very much.

In regard to my work outs --

I scaled my workouts to 4 a week, Mon/Thurs is lifting (focus around Bench/row/Deadlift, can't squat because knee has problems at the moment). Tues/Fri are 30 minute runs.

Other than that I'm trying to be as sedentary as possible.

I'll try and get up a calorie list and typical day of meals.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

30 minute runs aren't conducive to weight gain.

Have you tried raw or grassfed milk? Lots of times people who can't handle homogenized, pasteurized milk are good with raw.

If not, coconut milk and coconut oil make for good cheap calorie sources in addition to the ones you already mentioned.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

From dave tate

"There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldn't gain weight to save my f-g life.

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like f-g magic. He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

"You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I'll fill you in."

Now remember, we're at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious s-t if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

"For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don't care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that s-t down and eat. That's your breakfast."

At this point I'm thinking this guy is nuts. But he's completely serious.

"For lunch you're gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don't want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG BS. I don't care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can't let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter."

"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that f-kr up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that s-t over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the s-t out of it."

"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that f-kr. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."

This guy is in a zen-like state when he's talking about this.

"Now you're on the clock," he continues. "After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you're full. Don't listen to that s-t. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I'm telling you now, you're going to get three or four pieces in and you're gonna want to quit. You f-g can't quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you can't finish it, don't you ever come back to me and tell me you can't gain weight. 'Cause I'm gonna tell you that you don't give a f-k about getting bigger and you don't care how much you lift!"

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn't get much fatter. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, though. "

I'm curious to see your food log.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

awesome
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

If I ate the diet Jamie described, even lifting heavy, I think I'd still balloon up and get even fatter.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jason,

I thought you ate like that now?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

I have upped my eatage recently.

About to make me a bacon, egg, and peanut butter sandwich.

Gaining weight is possible for anyone. Just have to work at it.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Jason,

I thought you ate like that now?
I don't eat fast food like that. It's maybe a once a week thing for me, definitely not 4 breakfast sandwiches every morning and a large pizza every night.
But I do consume a lot of calories. And yeah, I'm fat.
So I don't understand how they're not getting fat. Unless they just weren't fat before and the calories went straight into fueling what they were doing.
Because as of right now I'm not losing fat nor am I gaining it. I'm in a holding pattern. So what I'm eating is probably fueling my current activity level.