CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #41
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Re: What's up with intermittent fasting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
My little $0.02 on IF:

- IF is a "tool"...everyone can use it differently...there doesn't have to be just one way only...do it 5x a week, 3x a week, 1x a week....your call based on results and energy.
- Look at it like a condensed eating window....that you do "intermittently"
- You can eat 2-3 big meals...or snack all day long...what you do during a condensed eating window is your choice....just stick to real foods.
- Main benefits to IF (vs just eating less all day long) is improved glucose metabolism markers like lowered fasting insulin (which is a good thing esp for health and weight loss) and increased GH pulses and FFAs (free fatty acids)
- Mental benefit to IF....you don't go OCD about eating all day long for the rest of your life
- You won't lose muscle if you eat enough calories (esp enough protein and healthy fats) and do resistance training 2-3x a week.
- Nitrogen retention theory is based on bodybuilding paranoa...that and your body is always recycling proteins and rebuilding (you would be dead long ago if it didn't)
- Everyone is different....start...monitor...change as needed....there isn't one plan that works the best, but there are many easy guidlines to follow so you know how to take control of your eating and results.
- You can throw away all your tupperware containers

Downsides
- can not work if you don't eat enough (especially those that are already light eaters)
- can not work if you do it too much (hence the whole "I" in IF)
- may not be ideal for those with extremely active lives (and high calorie needs)...but that doesn't mean you can't do it 1x a week also.
- You'll need to find a new hobby to fill all the time you used to worry about what to eat next....which is probably a good problem to have.
This = Gold. Thanks Mike!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #42
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Re: What's up with intermittent fasting?

Your IF day should still be clean choices than a binge pass to eat whatever....of course everyone's insulin resistance factors are different, but unless you are genetically/hormonally blessed to have ripped muscles while eating twinkies....it's probably not a good idea.

That and a big meal of loads of calories (mainly carbs/sugars)...is not going to do much for improved body composition goals. People who have failed on IF in the past did so because they tried to just fast and then in one sitting binge on pizza, pasta, ice cream and/or beer....doesn't work that way (as much as I would love it to).

The other non-IF days are more ideal to eat a bit more flexible...as long as you keep it controlled as well....calories matter....whether you are eating 6x a day....or 3x. IF seems to work well for most because a condensed eating window also allows for lower calorie intake than normal.....that and it's just easier to maintain than 6x a day feedings.

For energy....a little caffeine in the AM fasted seems to do the trick for most (coffee, tea, whatever)...and keeps hunger at bay.

Not sure if Robb is stealing my TM of "IFOC"...I'll have my lawyers contact his.....