CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Brandon Reilly

Profile:
Best gym WOD's and/or travel WOD's

Hello, this is literally my first day as a member of CF.com, but i have been following the WOD's for some time now along with studying the demo videos and trying to teach myself how to do the workouts. What are some of the best WOD's that yawl have worked in the past and why is it the best? Also the best travel WOD's when you don't have the equiptment or resources? I'm sure every WOD is a good one but I only ask this in case i don't have access to a computer one day or for whatever reason, i could think of a good workout off the top of my head.

PS- Please don't think too much into this question. I'm not looking for anything specific. I just want some opinions on people's favorite WOD's. Thanks,

Brandon
Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Best gym WOD's and/or travel WOD's

Everyone has their own fav wod. THere is a list of bw only wods listed in the sticky on the top of the 'workout of the day" section. You should read all the faq.

Welcome to cf
Old 05-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Eric Eckman

Profile:

I'm a pilot and spend about 15 nights a month in hotels, so I'm more than sympathetic to the difficulty of following the WODs closely when traveling. You'll actually find that you can make a large portion of the workouts work with what is available in a hotel "fitness" center- or sometimes even in your room. You'll definitely have trouble doing the heavy strength days on the road, but you'll be able to do all of the metcons with a substitution here and there. Look in the FAQ for the list of subs and when there is an exercise Rx'd in the WOD that doesn't have a standard sub, you can look at the general movement and try to replicate it in some other way. The key to this is looking at the WOD as a whole and figuring out what general training effect coach is going for and then do your best to match it as closely as possible.

Always ask your hotel front desk if they have a deal with a nearby globogym. Even if they have their own fitness center and don't advertise a health club deal, a lot of them can offer you free daypasses to a globo gym. For all the talk around here about getting kicked out of globo gyms for doing the WOD, I've never once been questioned for doing the WOD as long as I am respectful about it and stay out of the way. Clean and jerks and all- nobody has said anything to me about them. YMMV.

One thing that always shocks and disappoints me is how hard it can be to find a pull up bar in a hotel "gym." It's amazing what expensive and useless machines you'll find yet they fail to provide a basic piece of equipment. In these events, you can go outside if weather allows and just look for something in the environment that looks like a pull up bar and then get to work. Another possible solution if you're on the smaller side like I am is to swing your bathroom door open, grab the top of it and do your pull up. Kipping will obviously be impossible. Your times will suffer, but a few deadhang pullups never killed anyone.

If all else fails and there is no way for you to access a computer and no equipment that will allow a realistic attempt at subbing the workout to something that you can do, don't be afraid to dream somthing up. Once you've been doing crossfit for a short time, you'll get a feeling for how workouts are put together. It's not going to kill you to make up your own workout every once in a while to fit your time or equipment limitations. Remember that Crossfit is "constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity." As long as your workout fits that mold, you're doing crossfit, you're not going to derail your entire fitness development by homebrewing your own workout from time to time.

I hope my rambling was in some way helpuful. Good luck, welcome to crossfit!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Brandon Reilly

Profile:

I appologize if I asked something that was in the FAQs. I know where to find a buch a sub-WODs. I just want some opinions from people who actually attend crossfit gyms or are just more experienced in CF. I consider myself a highly motivated individual, but doing it alone is nothing no where near like doing it with a group, especially a teacher who can help guide you. Thanks again,
Brandon
Old 05-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Keith Wilkey

Profile:

I stick to bodyweight exercises in my room mostly. I try to avoid the fitness centers because 98% of the time I end up explaining "What is CrossFit".

My favorite is:

3 rounds
21-15-9

Push Ups
Situps
Squats

Of course you'll probably find more creative things to do.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Jeff Roddy

Profile:

When I travel I like doing Cindy, Angie, Barbie, or Tabata's - all body weight stuff. For pullup I use the the door to the bathroom. Hanging on the top is harder that a bar and your body drags up the door creating more resistance.
If I use the hotel gym I add in thrusters and Dumbbell swings- I agree however that its frustrating that hotels don't have pull up bars in their gyms.
Jeff
Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Most hotel gyms I've been to have the rack of Dumbbells, so I'll often do this...
-6 burpees
-6 Turkish Get Ups (3 each side). ~35lbs
10 rounds.
Usually takes me about 25 minutes, and I know I got a good workout in.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Mark Cheney

Profile:

http://cfmoncton.files.wordpress.com...t-list-v15.pdf WFS

http://cfnrbwwods.blogspot.com/ WFS

These two lists should you keep you busy when you're on the road.