CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #291
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post
I GRADUATED from this post!! I got an authentic dead hang pull up today!!
WOOT! WOOT! Congratulations, Marianne! Great vid also.

Keep up the great work!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #292
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delita Wright View Post
Helen, I surely hope you do count chin up. My understanding of CF standards is any dead hang is a dead hang no matter what hand configuration you use. Give yourself some credit girl! WOOHOO! Delita
Gotta agree, Helen. If'n your chin went over that bar, you did a pull up......
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #293
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
First, thanks for the link. I'm flattered to have "inspired" some of you to work towards your first dead hang! I know you mentioned the exaggeration, Lauren, but to clarify - I have NOTHING against the kipping pull-up. I just think it's safer, stronger and more bad-a$$ to work on getting a dead hang PU first, before you devote significant time and energy to getting a kipping PU. That was my only point.

For those of you working hard, I'll say that the movement that helped me the most was working partial pull-ups. Nope, it's not full range of motion, but it helped to get me over those sticking points fast, especially working them from the top.

Jump up to chin over bar. Lower yourself down part-way (as low as you can - you'll figure out where this point is after a few attempts), then pull back up. Each attempt, try to lower yourself down a little further. This taught me how and when to engage my back muscles - at some point, I got down far enough and when I pulled myself back up, it just clicked. In the final stage, I would jump up, lower to dead hang and then bounce my way back up. Cool... but doesn't count. Pull-ups start at the bottom. But that's when I started trying to PULL from a dead hang.

As for a warm-up, if you're GTG'ing them (working one pull-up attempt at a time), you don't really need one. Any pull-y efforts you make as part of your warm-up will just tax the muscles. When I GTG them, I hit them once an hour, no preparation necessary. Just get on the bar and pull.

And if you get from dead hang to chin over bar using a little movement - legs kicking or bicycling - take it. Just work on using less and less leg and hip action during each future attempt.

Anyone who wants to send me a video of their first (or second, or third) dead hang pull-up WILL be featured on my blog. It's a really big deal, and I'd be happy to shout you out.

Good luck!
Melissa
Melissa,

Thanks for posting your thoughts regarding the kipping pull-up on your blog. You made mention of some specifics I never really considered. This info is invaluable for providing safe instruction to others getting into CF...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #294
Helen Lawson

Profile:

I'm looking for ideas to help with elbow tendinitis from working pull-ups/chin-ups?

I get it a little bit, rest for a day or so and its gone. But, i have a client that wants to work on pull-ups, was doing the recon ron program but by the time he got up to 5,4,3,2,2 (or something like that) his elbows hurt so bad he gave up. He was using a chin-up grip, rested for a week and went back to it trying a pull-up grip (to put less stress on the biceps) and the pain came right back almost as bad as before.

Of course we've done the obvious: Rest, Ice, Ibuprofen, Compression, Elevation (RIICE)

Anything else that anyone has used that has helped?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #295
Jenny Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post

I used to get really bad tendinitis (more in my wrist than my elbow, though), and here's what helped me:

-Stretching my fingers and forearms thoroughly after the first few reps of any "aggravating" exercise (for an elbow, probably stretching just forearm muscles);
-Learning to relax my grip;
and
-Anti-inflammatories (Naproxen worked better than Ibu for me).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #296
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
I'm looking for ideas to help with elbow tendinitis from working pull-ups/chin-ups?

I get it a little bit, rest for a day or so and its gone. But, i have a client that wants to work on pull-ups, was doing the recon ron program but by the time he got up to 5,4,3,2,2 (or something like that) his elbows hurt so bad he gave up. He was using a chin-up grip, rested for a week and went back to it trying a pull-up grip (to put less stress on the biceps) and the pain came right back almost as bad as before.

Of course we've done the obvious: Rest, Ice, Ibuprofen, Compression, Elevation (RIICE)

Helen,

Sounds as though your client is reasonably strong and has incurred a repetitive motion (e.g, the tendinitis you speak of) injury. I have found that my elbows hurt if I don't really warm up before hitting the pull ups - - even during the CFWU. I've made a set of light weight (75 pounds or so) lat pull-downs X 10 - 15 reps a must during my warm ups before I hit the pull-ups, regardless of style (supine grip, pronated grip, or kipped).

The pull-downs will also warm up/loosen up the shoulder girdle for the loading the pull ups will place upon it. Something to think about is that a chin up utilizes more bicep through the ROM, where the pull up uses more brachialis. Either muscle group can put stress loads on the elbow joint - - just from different directions (one proximal, one distal). The end result is still pain from the loading stress.

If his pain and discomfort persist, he should probably lay off for at least a week and follow your advice with regard to RIICE. My $0.02.....
Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #297
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Thanks for the tendinitis help. He took about 10 days off from all exercises and took a lot of anti-inflamatories during that time. I didn't want him to lose all the strength he gained so we've tried some different stretches, warm-ups, etc... Right now I have him doing rows (on a total gym) and a lot of forearm, bicep & tricep stretching as part of his warm-up. They don't seem to help too much yet.

We did find that pull-up grip is better for him than the chin-up grip which he had been using. But, they still hurt. The good news is that his elbows don't hurt when swinging a golf club so he doesn't mind so much.

I specifically want him to work on rows & pull-ups because he has all the signs of "upper cross syndrome" - very strong chest, rounded shoulders, too much rounding in upper back, etc... He keeps telling me how he likes push-ups and dips and why can't he just do those!

I'm thinking of getting him one of those straps that just holds the tendons in place to try...any input on using those?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #298
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the tendinitis help. He took about 10 days off from all exercises and took a lot of anti-inflamatories during that time. I didn't want him to lose all the strength he gained so we've tried some different stretches, warm-ups, etc... Right now I have him doing rows (on a total gym) and a lot of forearm, bicep & tricep stretching as part of his warm-up. They don't seem to help too much yet.

We did find that pull-up grip is better for him than the chin-up grip which he had been using. But, they still hurt. The good news is that his elbows don't hurt when swinging a golf club so he doesn't mind so much.

I specifically want him to work on rows & pull-ups because he has all the signs of "upper cross syndrome" - very strong chest, rounded shoulders, too much rounding in upper back, etc... He keeps telling me how he likes push-ups and dips and why can't he just do those!

I'm thinking of getting him one of those straps that just holds the tendons in place to try...any input on using those?
Hi Helen,

Glad that your client is making progress with his tendinitis. If you don't mind a bit more kibitzing on my part, I'd even recommend he refrain from doing rows (on the total gym, or with any significant weight) for right now - - these still involve contraction of the biceps brachiiae and brachialis muscles and will continue to irritate the connective tissue already inflamed through pull-up work. The stretching of course, is a must. My comments are based on the fact you advise the reduced exercise and stretching have not really helped yet...

As for tendon/compression straps or bands, I'm not really familiar with them, but I do know that aside from assisting in tendon positioning and gentle compression, the straps or bands will do nothing to remedy or prevent additional inflammation/irritation of the tendon and/or the channel in which it moves. Again, the best Rx for this is RIICE and abstinance from any activity which will exacerbate the condition.

I'm facing the same problems with my R/Achilles at this time. Apparently I overdid it with the last big snow we had - - some ice on the ground, a steep driveway, and a slipping snow blower. I need to follow my own advice......

Hope this helps.....
Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #299
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

rounded shoulders are fixed by strengthening horizontal pulling movements and those rhomboids. get thee some body rows and tuck front lever stuff ( skin the cats, K2E )
Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #300
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
rounded shoulders are fixed by strengthening horizontal pulling movements and those rhomboids. get thee some body rows and tuck front lever stuff ( skin the cats, K2E )
Blair,

I still need serious work to strengthen my pull-ups (I don't have rounded shoulders in the least though) - - I seem to be stuck at 5 dead hangs (still can't kip worth a hoot with any consistency).....Any additional suggestions?

Hope you don't mind the short hijack, Helen......