CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I went from being a gymnast to being a body builder to doing CF... so far, CF has been amazing. I am without a doubt in the best shape of my life (cardio and strength wise), and that's considering I don't do many of the powerlifting exercises like clean, OHS, jerks or squats.

I'm 5'9 and approx 155lbs at ~7% body fat.

Although I am very happy where I am right now and don't want to be anywhere near where I was at my body building peak (almost 190lbs), I wouldn't mind 10 pounds of lean muscle mass (def. no more).

My two questions are:

1) Assuming I continue with my "modified" CF (been doing it for almost a year now and maintaining) and simply increase my food intake, can I achieve my goal?

2) If i were to follow a further modified CF routine where I incorporate more gymnastics exercises (hspu, planche, v-ups, ring dips/pull-ups, muscle-ups, etc.) can I achieve my goal?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Leg hypertrophy is very hard to acheive without weights.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Frank,
Here's a good article that focuses on building leg strength with minimal back strain. It's been a big help to me. To answer your questions I would say yes but I think adding plyometrics to your workouts would help a lot.

(Message edited by motion on October 22, 2006)
Old 10-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Motion, I can't see the article.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I would definitely continue doing plyometric work as well as many of the metcon type routines! They're just so much fun! hehe.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I'd keep the DLs at least...it's a great mass builder for the legs and back. You have to realize the huge anabolic surge you get from doing leg exercises with weight (squats, DLs, etc). Someone once said you cant get a big upper body without doing legs...and doing heavy legs will give you a big upper body even if you don't try.

Exercise breaks down muscles...Hormones build muscles. So if you dont want to do squats have some sort of heavy compound movement using the legs...lunges, stepups, DLs, OHS, etc...
Old 10-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Mark Dowst

Profile:
On training,
Hormones build damaged muscles. It is easy to damage muscles, but it takes hard work to instigate a large hormonal response. Gymnastics are more than adequate to damage every muscle in your core and upper body, but will probably not instigate a large hormonal response without crazy volumes and frequencies. The easiest way to trigger a large hormonal response is from the old school bodybuilding methods of high rep breathing back squats and deadlifts.
Currently, I am doing alot of ringwork mixed with 1-3 backsquat/deadlift days a week, but I am still formulating a training routine and am changing it weekly.

On diet,
I am too lazy to count blocks, but I have in the past. I currently eating something along the lines of the metabolic diet, with low carb throughout the week, and high quality carbs in the form of beer on the weekends. It fits my college lifestyle well. Oh, make friends with cans of macadamia nuts and war with grains.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Motion Macivor

Profile:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1276773
oops... my bad
Old 10-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Motion Macivor

Profile:
BTW the reason I mentioned this article is because I agree 100% with Mike and Mark, but like you I also have a slight scoliosis in my spine and I am much better off working around it.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
Frank Menendez

Profile:
"If you're not a competitive powerlifter, you don't need to train like one. If you're not a competitive Olympic lifter, you don't need to train like one."

I like that statement... and I do agree with you guys, I will continue performing deadlifts (which I have been doing), and for legs I try to do one legged squats, lunges, farmer walks, sprints... but I doubt I'll be incorporating SLDS, cleans, heavy squats (free squats no prob), or OHS with weight anytime soon.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Completely disagree with the comment that leg mass is hard to gain without weights. Sprint. Often.