CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Darrell E. White

Profile:
I just finished today's WOD and it was a pretty mediocre performance. I'm not sure why it turned out that way because I was psyched when I saw it posted last night. I ate well at breakfast at 7 AM (4 blocks with turkey sausage, small pancakes), and I worked out at 11:30 AM. Only significant life change is a sick child and way less sleep for the last 3 months.

What's really bugging me is not just that I sort of sleep-walked through today's WOD, but that I've had a number of these in the last couple of weeks. I typically work out alone, and I just can't seem to get myself to that "on the edge" state where one is pushing just shy of failure/Pukie. It's only recently that it's been this way, and it spreads across the various WOD's. My only really intense work-out in the last 3 weeks or so was with Randy at Crossfit Denver.

It feels like I've gone onto cruise control and I'm not really sure why. Granted, my performance on the WOD's is an order of magnitude better than a couple of months ago, even on cruise control. Perhaps my body is making me do one of Eugene's 1/2 intensity weeks (my last full week off was one month ago). Any thoughts? Anyone else come up against this? Possible solutions?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
The 2 biggest contributors to the blahs from my experience is poor nutrition and poor rest. Maybe somebody else has some more ideas, but when was the last time you took a whole week off?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
not enough recovery could be another factor on top of the fact that you have been getting less sleep.

You might benefit from finding a crossfit training partner. For me, a change in enviroment and people usually does the trick.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Jerimiah: Last week off one month ago. 7 days of nada.

Veronica:Would love, love, love a CF partner! I've tried to get my oldest son to make the switch (lacrosse player, former football player with fine olympic lifting skills), but Dad's not quite cool enough! I keep trying to spread the word, though.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Darrell, I just recruit the hubby and bask in humiliating him (sometimes.) ;) Not sure if your wife/so would appreciate that, though. Make a bet/dare with your son - "let's see if you can keep up with your old man!"
Old 10-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Darryl,

It sounds just like what I go through from time to time. Firstly, I agree with comments above that point to the need for rest and recovery. I'm sure that your familiar with Larry Lindenman's very sensible scheme for adding one 1/2 effort week every month and one week off every quarter. I have found that this method not only addresses the need for physical recovery, it also addresses the need for psychological recovery; because - at least in my case - this program starts to do a number on my psyche after a few weeks and I start falling into a "pain-avoidance" mode that blunts the effort. Take a guilt-free week off now and then and you keep your enthusiasm going while you avoid cultivating the "pain-avoidance" mindset.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Mark Brinton

Profile:
two more observations; Sometimes I think I'm sleep walking thru a WOD and then, lo and behold, I find that I performed it significantly better than the last time. For me, this happened with the last "Filthy Fifty" WOD. I think you need to take something as objective as a new PR as evidence that you are still "in the groove" (IMHO). Also, I take medicine for low thyroid. Low thyroid would definitely give you a sense of sluggishness.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Veronica: Will gently challenge the spawn!

Mark: :"Pain avoidance" is an interesting concept. You may be on to something. I've misplaced the compass that guides between hurting and hurt, and that's a bit of the issue. In order to progress, to get all of the benefit out of the WOD, hurting is acceptable as long as you don't get hurt. That's part of the problem: I'm cruising just below that threshold. But my thyroid's good, thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Brendan Smith

Profile:
Dr. White: How about a goal? Is there something out on the horizon that you could be shooting for that might help motivate you? A race you want to compete in, a time or load you want to hit in a familiar WOD, a trip (ski, hike, etc.) that would demand phyisical preparation. I know when I'm not pushed to "get ready" for something I slack off, but when I know IT is right around the corner, I get fired up again.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Darrell,

Take a look at what you have going on: you are an MD, married, have children and now one is sick, and you are in your 40’s. You have a lot going on in your life.

I grant you that you are a high achiever with an A type personality but you need to remember that life is a journey and your training is a marathon so to speak.

You probably are just a bit over trained, I know you mentioned not getting much sleep lately, that might do it right there.

There is an ebb and flow to training; no one can train at 100% intensity all the time our bodies just can’t take that type of intensity 24/7/365.

Try backing off a bit in intensity for a week or two and then ramp back up to 100% intensity.

I agree with Brendan it helps to have an event or goal to shoot for. I find it helps to have an end in sight; often I get board with endless training and need some sort of competition or event to participate in.

I also know that the best training I have ever experienced was when I had training partners. For me I found I enjoy the friendships, they pick you up, push you beyond limits, I like the interaction.

I know as we move forward in life it becomes harder to find people to train with because of competing schedules and life commitments.

Don’t worry brother this is probably just a bit of a dip in a high achieving life. Take it in stride.

Mike