CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #1941
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
Even better - "HARD TRAINING IN PROGRESS - NO *****S"
HAHA, nice!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #1942
Nik Nichols

Profile:

10:00 break

Getting ready for todays C&J's, warmed up to 135, it feels ok. I think i will be ok with the weight.

Played with trying to do a hand stand on paralletes from a tuck to rotating my body up, and legs up.

How the H*ll do you balance a handstand? I can kick up and I can stand at the wall for over a min. But freee hand stand I cannot ballance. How, how, how!!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #1943
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

I read on here that you need to tighten your whole body to hold a handstand, I have tried loads and my best is about 5 seconds before I crash. I am sure somebody with experience or success will give you some tips Nik.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #1944
Jesse Emers

Profile:

If you really want better handstands Nik, just keep trying. 5-10 minutes of handstand practice per day will do wonders and I can guarantee progress. If you have someone who knows what they are doing watch you, I'm sure that would help too.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #1945
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
If you really want better handstands Nik, just keep trying. 5-10 minutes of handstand practice per day will do wonders and I can guarantee progress. If you have someone who knows what they are doing watch you, I'm sure that would help too.
Thanks Jesse, I will make it one of my ''extras'' on break. I have always been able to kick up, I can hold a wabbley HS for a second and loose ballance,I can walk a few sloppy ''steps'' but holding a good handstand has always been out of reach. I will work on it. I don't have anyone to check my form, I need to video it I guess.

Should I kick up on a wall and try to pull away, or just kick up and try to hold free stand?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #1946
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

When I learned HEAD stands, which of course are worlds easier, I progressed by first doing them with the wall, then doing them with the wall but pushing OFF the wall after I was up there. Then I got into position and roll/kicked up while trying not to touch the wall except for a reference point now and then. After that, I didn't need the wall anymore. That progression helped me learn how to find the sweet spot of balance without external references. It just took awhile.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #1947
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Kick up into freestanding HSs and if you can practice walking, that will really help too. I see that most people learning handstands can not walk on their hands. I've found that HS walking has really helped my stability, I even worked HS walks into some workouts before and they were fun!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #1948
Nik Nichols

Profile:

With a continuously running clock do one 135 pound Clean and Jerk the first minute, two 135 pound Clean and Jerks the second minute, three 135 pound Clean and Jerks the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

Use as many sets each minute as needed.
CFWUx2 with 40 lbs
ring dips and pushups

5 rounds and 3 reps all though the second rep in the 6th round Brady said I didn't lock out.

10 min of handstand practice.

I finished the 5th round on the dot at the start of round 6 with out a break at all. It killed me.

Last edited by Nik Nichols : 07-28-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #1949
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
When I learned HEAD stands, which of course are worlds easier, I progressed by first doing them with the wall, then doing them with the wall but pushing OFF the wall after I was up there. Then I got into position and roll/kicked up while trying not to touch the wall except for a reference point now and then. After that, I didn't need the wall anymore. That progression helped me learn how to find the sweet spot of balance without external references. It just took awhile.
I did 10 min like you by trying to kick off the wall, it was tough. I'll have to keep at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
Kick up into freestanding HSs and if you can practice walking, that will really help too. I see that most people learning handstands can not walk on their hands. I've found that HS walking has really helped my stability, I even worked HS walks into some workouts before and they were fun!
I will try to do it free of the wall. I can walk on my hands for about 3 maybe 4 steps. I will use that to try to keep my ballance. 10 min is a long time by the way.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #1950
Nik Nichols

Profile:

3:00 break
3 rounds
1 MU(working on grip and regrip, not so much the MU itself)
5 free handstands hold for as long as I can(seconds at best)
10 reps wide grip deadhang pullups C2B
5 HSPU for Rachel I wish it were more then 5.