CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Chris London

Profile:
Snacks That Energize

Hey I'm on a mission to a better body. At work I feel drained about 2 hours after lunch. My coworker wrote this article
Snacks That Energize, which I found helpful. Does anybody else have any ideas to add. I'm totally open to suggestions.

http://snagwiremedia.com/24fitclub/2...-energize.html
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Dennis Marshall

Profile:
Re: Snacks That Energize

First, I would look at what you're eating for lunch. I've seen this scenario play out oftentimes after eating too many carbs/not enough fat. What is a typical lunch?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

um, that article is a joke! your co-worker is an idiot.

'energy bars are a great snack' i think NOT.

If you are getting hungry 2hr after lunch then yes there is something wrong with your lunch!!

If you are going to have a snack, have some real food like a peice of meat, some cut up veggies, handful of nuts, boiled eggs, fruit etc.

As for the giant banana, well i can tell you that what you should NOT do after having a lunch that left you zonking 2hrs later, is to eat a banana.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Quote:
your co-worker is an idiot.
Laura, his co-worker's ideas about nutrition do not make him an overall stupid person. Useless comments like this don't do anyone any good. Some of the snack ideas in the article are perfectly good. Cottage cheese and fruit and an apple with cheese are both very common healthy snacks that fit in the zone perfectly. Energy bars like Balance Bars and Zone-Perfect Bars might be heavily processed, but they also have good balanced Macros that make a fine snack if better options aren't available. Not everyone has the time to eat or carry a snack made of whole foods during their day. The point of the 2article is to encourage healthy snacking, which is valuable because most people don't snack in a healthy way at all (and some also don't snack, which can cause its problems as well). Your average American who reads that article and follows its advice would be taking a positive step for their health. Not everything has to be WAM Zone Paleo to help people's health.

Chris, I usually crash when I screw up my protein-carb ratio and eat too many carbs. If you're eating a lot of bread or starch (or even worse, sugar) in your lunch, you're going to get hungry and lack energy. Biasing your lunch towards proteins and good fats like nuts and seeds will help a lot. Same goes for your snack. I follow the Zone prescription for eating, so my snacks are balanced out with protein, carbs and fat, but you can mess with the ratios so long as you stay light with the carbs and avoid sugar. Here are some I like (2 blocks each):

1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
1 cup blueberries
6 chopped almonds

2 oz. cheddar cheese
1 apple
(fat in the cheese)

2 oz. chicken breast
2 Zucchinis (throw it all in a pan and heat)
2/3 tsp. olive oil

2 hardboiled eggs
2/3 banana
2 macademia nuts

2 oz. steak
1 chopped head lettuce
1 tomato
2/3 tsp. olive oil
balsamic vinegar (this is a super filling snack)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

apologies
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

sorry, apologies. I am a bit cranky today.

I meant no offence, and I realise now that I was a bit short in my reply.

those are some good snack choices oliver has given you.

I would steer clear of eating carbs on their own : usually when people say 'energy bar' they mean a granola bar which is basically just sugar. I know a lot of people who just eat carbs all day long ('healthy' carbs like granola and bananas but no protein or fat) and won't believe that this could be bad for them.

Personally I would avoid most bars even zone balanced ones, if you must have a bar (and can afford the calories) lara bars are awesome. You will have to eat protein with them, but I think most of them come out to about two carb blocks (extra fat)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
apologies
I thought your reply was on target. A few minutes of research, either on the CF boards or some of the other excellent sites would have got him his answer, instead a new thread starts, 80 posts later, NO NEW INFORMATION.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

not to be that guy, but in the article the coworker said: "This means staying away from snack foods that are 100% carbs and offer no protein." and then he said "A small piece of non-fibrous fruit, such a half a banana is also a good snack choice." That snack is 100% carbs and offers no protein. So stay away from that one. But I agree with Oliver, getting you carb/protein balance is the key to staying fuller longer.

The Zone has this rule of thumb regarding the carb/protein ratio: if you are going to eat unfavorable carbs, the amount of protein you eat should be equal in size. If you are going to eat favorable carbs, eat double the amount of the size of protein you will eat.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
The Zone has this rule of thumb regarding the carb/protein ratio: if you are going to eat unfavorable carbs, the amount of protein you eat should be equal in size. If you are going to eat favorable carbs, eat double the amount of the size of protein you will eat.
Btw, by size he means its physical size, not gram/block size. It's a rule for eyeballing based on the tendency for bad carb sources to be much more carb dense than the good ones.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

thanks Ryan, I should have specified.