CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Erin Arno

Profile:
Allergic Reaction

This is kind of a weird subject to be my first post here, but it's a question at the front of my mind....and all over my neck...

I found Crossfit about a month ago and have been lurching in the shadows ever since, so this is me stepping into the ring. I love this site, the dedication of the staff to the site, and the member input. This is an amazing community!

While looking through past Crossfit journals, I found several articles on the Zone diet and really started researching "low-carb" diets, mostly paleo and Zone. It was so interesting. I loved learning about the chemistry of what is going on inside when you're eating food. For a week I cut out sugar and lost 3 pounds. Then I took out processed carbs and upped my vegetables and fruits. I lost 4 more pounds. Then I actually started portioning out my food and lost 6 more pounds. I have lost 18 pounds since March 1 and never felt better in my life. I feel like I really have figured out what I am supposed to be doing. This is just not a diet but a new way to look at food for the rest of my life.

Well to my actual question. I've been giving myself "less strict" breaks once I make a mini-goal. Since I have cut out processed carbs, I've stopped eating a lot of my old, usual foods. I really don't crave them any more, but there are still good memories attached to them. So I usually go out for my break dinner. And when I do order food, it usually involves some kind of bread, though even now it's not as appetizing as it once was.

But I've noticed that I break out in a rash on my neck after these breaks, like an allergic reaction. I've never had a food allergy before, but seasonal allergies and felines do the same thing to me. I am wondering if it's happening because I've cut them out, that my body is reacting to the "junk" that I'm eating? I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

So anyway, I would like to echo the saying that I've seen a lot: I wish I would have found this site years ago! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:
Re: Allergic Reaction

Without knowing more I would say it is possible you are having an allergic reaction to gluten.

Wheat allergy occurs when there is an allergic reaction to gluten (the protein found in wheat, rye, barley and oats). Gluten refers to a group of proteins that are difficult for humans to digest. One group of proteins called gliadin is thought to do most of the damage to the intestinal lining. Glutenins are another group of proteins found in gluten and thought to be associated with autoimmune skin diseases and asthma. Gluten proteins are extremely resistant to intestinal digestion, despite grinding, cooking, processing and digestion.

The thing about food allergies is that they often don't really show up until you cut the food out entirely and then re add it to your diet. Up until that time usually it has caused a level of fatigue or bloating that went unnoticed as it was a constant.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Ceren Kocak

Profile:
Re: Allergic Reaction

Hey Erin. Welcome to the boards. I've been lurking for a while too, but AllisonNYC tells me I need to post more.

In short, yes, that happens to me when I eat anything with gluten, dairy or soy. Eating is certainly not what it used to be for me. My best suggestion would be to black box it and see what happens.

I found out my allergies simply by trial and error. I stopped eating gluten for a few months and then went crazy for a week (chinese food - soy sauce is just so bad for you, pasta, bread, etc). The problem is that you have to be super careful with gluten because it hides in so much stuff, mostly junk so you've got that going for you, but hidden nonetheless.

I also know there is a difference between food allergies and food intolerance, but I'm not savvy enough to describe what that is. I know I feel good when I eat clean and I feel awful when I don't.

Good luck! I've been black-boxing my diet for years now so I know how frustrating it can be.

Last edited by Ceren Kocak : 04-27-2008 at 06:01 PM.