CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Chuck Pelowski

Profile:
Over the last month, I've become very aware that I *suck* at aerobic efforts, while excelling at pure strength efforts. For now, I'll only be working on running, swimming, burpees, etc. I feel that I can bring up my overall level of GPP faster if I leave out WODS like "Deadlift 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1." Furthermore, I feel that many people on this site would benefit if there were a series of tests that enabled the end-user to work on only his or her weak points. For example, User A determines that he can perform the 5K very well, but turns in poor performances on ME days. Plug him into Coach Rutman's ME Black Box. User B discovers that he can lift, but can't run... he's prescribed extra running... etc. It seems that this would bring up the entire communities GPP by concentrating on the weak points and deemphasizing the things that certain people already excel at. Anyway, I'm dripping sweat all over the keyboard...

-Charlie
Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Chuck,

Wait a minute. I thought the point was to do the WODs as prescribed for GPP, but in addition, do SPP work that focused on either a) your weaknesses b) your specific sport or c) both.

Example, I'll be building a sandbag this weekend and (finally) starting the CrossFit IV Rutman Mile Challenge, but I'm still going to do the WODs as prescribed as GPP.

Unless it's a time issue, like you don't have enough time to do both the WODs and your SPP work? I might be missing something. Correct me if I am.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 AM   #3
Chris Longley

Profile:
I'm with Eric on this one. Any time that I've 'cut out' WODs to focus on something, its just made my overall fitness suffer. But doing stuff in addition... now that's a different story.

I try to fit in extra training sessions when I can. I aim to do the WOD in the morning and then another session in the evening. At the moment I'm alternating between the Rutman mile and Eugene's Pull-up and L-sit challenges. Somedays I've only got the energy to do the WOD and I just take a break from the extra training.

The ME workout is slightly different in that you don't choose which WODs you sub out. On your Crossfit days you do the prescribed WOD even if it's another max effort workout. That way you keep the randomness in.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
Chuck I am in the same boat as you. Last year it was much worse. I could deadlift 500 but my mile rule was about 15 minutes. Now I deadlift around 470 and my mile is about 8 minutes and this is with no additional running. I skip the 10k runs in favor of an hour of vigorous basketball. If I do a 5K it’s a mix of walks and sprints. When the weather gets cold again I will try this with a 10K. I’m with Art De Vany on jogging. It is a grim, bleak and monotonous activity.

Try running a mile or two on our off days or add some running work in addition to the WOD.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Chuck, I think the idea of CrossFit is to work it all. If you focus on aerobic efforts while neglecting heavy weights, you're possibly going to swap your weaknesses and become good aerobically and weaker strength wise. You'll be like a dog chasing its tail....doing alot of work, but not really getting anywhere. I say stick with the WOD and add to improve your weaknesses as you see fit.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Troy Archie

Profile:
Yeah I think you just need to be patient and keep plugging away. As time goes by you'll find that those weaknesses are less of a weakness and your strengths are more of strength. That’s at least what I’ve found…

Just an observation on myself that I’ve made as of late; I’ve been a very busy lately and thus only have time to do the WOD and not very much outside work or extra sessions. In doing so I’ve found that my WOD times and numbers have had a noticeable increase in all the different disciplines (weightlifting, gymnastics, metabolic…).
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I have been doing the WOD first and then according to feel I add things such as OHS practice, or I will go home and play with my parallettes, some days i concentrate on active and passive stretching. Twice a week I will do less functional workouts (I know, I know) some low volume hypertrophy specific workouts.

Some days I will do the crossfit warmup before hand and sometimes I will just get on a machine and do 10-15 minutes warmup.

I agree with most of these other guys that you should endeavor to keep all things equal and do additional things after the WOD.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:12 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Just wanted to agree with Eric and say I enjoy his posts, they are right on spot.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Chuck, one thing I've been doing lately is adding a tabata fest to the end of workouts that don't challenge me aerobically. Like the Deadlift day you mentioned, I'd just end that with a set of tabata squats, and if I'm still frisky (generally I'm not) I'll throw burpees on top. That'll get your motor running, you get the aerobic benefit, and it doesn't consume muscle.

I also wanted to agree with John W about the monotony of jogging. Nothing numbs my mind like running for an hour on the sidewalk. However, if you're lucky enough to have a hilly wooded area nearby try running the trails though it. I love it, there's no time to get bored because of the focus required. Each footfall could potentially result in an injury (oh yeah, that's the downside), so much for monotany.