CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
Do you think being on CrossFit for 4 months is long enough to prepare a person to take a firefighter's physical abilities test?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
I'd say it all depends on what fitness base you start with at the beginning of the 4 months.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
I'd say, as a firefighter, that it's the best approach to take. Best of luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Dan Silver

Profile:

Yes. You will smoke most of the competition.

-D.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
What do you have to do for the test Ashley??
Old 06-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Ash, if it's CPAT-practice the weighted stepmill prior to testing, and mess around w/mask on to avoid possible freakiness (sounds silly, but it happens).
Old 06-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Crossfit will definitely put you ahead of the curve. The CPAT is challenging, but in order for it to be approved for the Justice Department, the administrators of the test have to give prospective candidates access to the equipment used in the test so that they can train on it (or so I understand, our dept. is supposed to be going to CPAT testing). If this is true, train for the CPAT by doing the CPAT. Treat it as your "sport" that you do in addition to crossfit.

Good advice on wearing the mask to get used to it, too, particularly if you have a history of claustrophobia. Good luck. As a firefighter, it is always encouraging to see prospective fire recruits who are taking the physical fitness aspect of the job seriously.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
The physical abilities test is a modified version of the CPAT.

The events are as follows:
(20lb weight vest, hard hat, gloves)

1. StepMill 72 steps per minute x 3 minutes
2. Hose Drag through a 4ft high tunnel
3. Search event
4. 130 lbs dummy drag in a zig zag shape tunnel
5. Ladder Evolution
6. Forced Entry
7. Pike Pole Event

Old 06-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Ashley,
What department are you testing for? (your bio says you live in AR and I am in Memphis, we will be testing for new hires soon using the CPAT)

Technique is important, also. When dragging the dummy, squat low, see if you can grab the dummy around the chest (your hands under the dummy's arms) If possible, grab your own wrist to ensure a firm grasp. Lift as much of him as you can off the ground. Lean back and let your own weight help carry you backwards. Getting as much of the dummy off of the ground as possible will do 2 things:
1) reduce friction with the ground that you would have to overcome while dragging.
2) Make it easier to navigate corners in the maze.

You are going to have to treat this like a sport. Conditioning is only half the equation. Technique is the other half. Learn the event, how to pace yourself, make your movements efficient given the task at hand.

Could you go into more detail on the ladder evolution, search event, and the forced entry? Exactly what do they consist of?

I don't know how far Springdale is from Memphis, but if you want to schedule a time when you can come down and work on technique for an afternoon, one of my best friends is a big time competitor in the combat challenge and I used to be an instructor at the Memphis Fire Training Academy. We would be glad to help.

Jim Aldridge
Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
Jim,

Thanks for the emai. I am testing with Tulsa Fire . The PAT should be in December.

First off, I am a small guy - age 30, 5'4" 152 lbs. I need to be honest with you that I am kinda self-conscience about my size. I have had friends in the "bodybuilding / fitness" would that keep suggesting to me that I need to do a typical bodybuilding split. Granted it would give me some size, but having size is not going to save me if I ever get into trouble as a firefighter on the fire ground. I need to be PHYSICALLY CONDITIONED. Also, firefighters don't typically "isolate" muscle grounds when working a fire. I am I right in this thinking?

The ladder evolution: take a 8 foot roof ladder off the rack, sit it down, then walk over to a 24 foot ladder and raise it. Lower it back down and then walk back to the roof ladder and secure it back on the rack.

Search: you are enclosed in a complete dark maze to find your way out.

Forced Entry: using a sledgehammer and hit a standing metal sled about 6 seconds.

Springdale is about 6 hrs from Memphis. It is close to Fayetteville.