CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Justin Shipley

Profile:
shoulder mobility issues

greetings to all! this is my first post after several months of browsing the threads and learning heaps. my question is; does anyone know of a fast-track way to increase shoulder mobility behind the head so that exercises such as OHS, walking lunges with a dumbell held overhead, turkish get-up,etc, can be performed correctly with fully extended elbows and therefore proper balance? i am a personal trainer who has been crossfitting this past 15 months, and coaching clients in CF methodology the past 6 or 7 months as my own abilities and confidence have grown. my reason for asking is not for myself, because while my own mobility in the shoulders was not crash-hot to start with, simply performing the above exercises continuously soon fixed that. i ask because i have a couple of clients who are very tight in the shoulder region despite months of coaching and while they are able to perform most other exercises admirably, OHS's are out of the question due to the inability of the arms to move rearward of the shoulders; overhead DB walking lunges end up being done with bent elbows and arm forward of the shoulder, much like a waiter holding a tray of drinks up high; and much the same for the getups. while some progress is forthcoming, it is slow, and i would like to get past this sticking point in my clients' abilities A.S.A.P. any help would be greatly appreciated. keep up the great work everyone! and remember; go hard or go home!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Kurt A Gross

Profile:
Re: shoulder mobility issues

I had mobility issues when I started CF over a year ago. Over 20 years in traditional bodybuilding/powerlifting routines (which I now feel comprimise flexibility/mobility and speed), and a past rotator cuff injury 5-6 years ago (left supraspinatus) left me pretty tight in the shoulders. While I'm not where I want to be, I'm a lot better. I feel what had helped me most, other than practice and repetitions, was doing shoulder dislocations during the warmup. I mixed it in with the Overhead squat warmup, by doing the dislocation at the bottom of the squat. 3 sets of 15 repetitions, just like the rest of the warmup. Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A Gross View Post
I had mobility issues when I started CF over a year ago. Over 20 years in traditional bodybuilding/powerlifting routines (which I now feel comprimise flexibility/mobility and speed), and a past rotator cuff injury 5-6 years ago (left supraspinatus) left me pretty tight in the shoulders. While I'm not where I want to be, I'm a lot better. I feel what had helped me most, other than practice and repetitions, was doing shoulder dislocations during the warmup. I mixed it in with the Overhead squat warmup, by doing the dislocation at the bottom of the squat. 3 sets of 15 repetitions, just like the rest of the warmup. Hope this helps.
I'll add to that by saying that I also have shoulder issues that include flexibility problems. I do dislocates using a "thermoband". I got mine at my physical therapists office. Check out some of the other shoulder threads; there may be some more ideas there.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Dislocates will help free up the scapulae. Specific retraction work might help somewhat.

Foam roll/stretch the thoracic spine!

Stretch the lats/chest/etc. through hanging on a bar, cat stretch, etc.

Focus, also, on getting active shoulders in OHS position.

Do this a couple times a day (along with hamstring flexibility work if it is a limiting factor in the squat) and you should have it with your clients within the month. Now the trick is to get them to do it when not at the gym....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Justin Shipley

Profile:

thanx kurt, lenora, and steven for your replies, much appreciated. i will introduce every one of each of your suggestions into my training with the relevant clients beginning next week and await the desired results with anticipation. thanx again, and i think i'll be utilizing this forum a lot more from now on, it truly is a wonderful tool for the sharing of quality information.