CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Why...

...is it mandatory to designate whether or not a site is W/F/S? If you're at work you shouldn't be on the Internet. If you're with your family, you probably shouldn't be on the Internet. I take the position that everyone should preview the site before they post it and use common sense. Hammering someone over not posting the W/F/S label seems pretty hardcore to me.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Why...

From the Site Rules:

# Rules for all you link-posters:

1. Include the subject of the link in the message text.
2. Indicate if it's not work safe/family friendly in the message title.
3. Provide a sentence or two that summarizes if the subject is not clearly explanatory.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, what's the issue or are you just bored?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
From the Site Rules:

# Rules for all you link-posters:

1. Include the subject of the link in the message text.
2. Indicate if it's not work safe/family friendly in the message title.
3. Provide a sentence or two that summarizes if the subject is not clearly explanatory.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, what's the issue or are you just bored?
Just bored and inquistitive. I've never seen this rule on any other message board. I'm likely to be an offender and I don't want to get *****ed at about it. It's very, very trivial to me and it would irritate me. But I have better sense than to post something that wouldn't be acceptable.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

It is a little odd. Usually users are asked to specify if it's NOT a safe link, rather than vice versa.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
Just bored and inquistitive. I've never seen this rule on any other message board. I'm likely to be an offender and I don't want to get *****ed at about it. It's very, very trivial to me and it would irritate me. But I have better sense than to post something that wouldn't be acceptable.
Lots of people are able to lurk on message boards at work from time to time. I know I can't sit and read contracts all day long without taking a mental break.

Similarly, my computer at home that I do all my business work on for Motor City Crossfit is in the living room, with the kids right there.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Lots of people are able to lurk on message boards at work from time to time. I know I can't sit and read contracts all day long without taking a mental break.

Similarly, my computer at home that I do all my business work on for Motor City Crossfit is in the living room, with the kids right there.
Internet lurking = time theft = fireable offense at most places

You got me on the kids scenario.

More to the point, I tend to believe that most people most of the time post W/F/S sites so they should just designate the few times they post a site that isn't. You just wouldn't have to hear it eveytime you didn't put the designation (non-maliciously) for a site that is 99.999999999999% W/F/S.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
Internet lurking = time theft = fireable offense at most places

You got me on the kids scenario.

More to the point, I tend to believe that most people most of the time post W/F/S sites so they should just designate the few times they post a site that isn't. You just wouldn't have to hear it eveytime you didn't put the designation (non-maliciously) for a site that is 99.999999999999% W/F/S.
No it's not, you have the message boards running in the background and you check it for about 5 minutes from time to time. Crap, smokers take 15 minute breaks all the time and nobody whines about it.

You find me one person who sits at their desk all day and ONLY does work, nothing personal at all, and I'll show you someone who's either a freak of nature workaholic who loves what he does, OR someone who'd have much greater success in their career and working with people if they'd take a few minutes here and there for themselves.

And if you show me a company or boss who completely disallows people from doing anything personal from time to time, I'll show you a company with high turnaround, or unnecessarily high personnel budget because they have to overpay them to put up with their Nazi selves.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:

WFS: its a kinder gentler internet here.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:

The community here takes strides to walk a higher road. I like the rule because it makes people stop and think about what they are posting. If you want to compare to other forums, most other forums have major problems with spammers, trolls, flame wars, horridly innappropriate posts, etc. That just is not much of a problem here. If these abnormal rules are part of the reason behind that, fantastic...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:

I access the internet all the time at work and it's NOT a fireable offense! lol! My work is CrossFit and staying up on these forums and, in fact, our OWN gym forums is essential to my job. Lots of people access from work.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com