CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Christian Mason

Profile:
Attempting to Squat Clean

I'm only fairly recently learned that what I thought of as "cleans" all along were an ugly muscle clean.

The transition to squat cleans had made a number of workouts (like Elizabeth and Linda) MUCH harder. It more than doubled my Elizabeth time.

Anyway, thoughts and feedback on my cleans are welcome.
(work and family safe link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVkbc3apOjM

Things I notice:

- I don't think I'm coming to full hip extension at the top. Hurrying to get under the bar maybe?

- I think I'm power cleaning then riding the bar down into a front squat.
Not sure what to do about this though - I feel like I sacrifice full extension even more than I all ready am if I try to get under it faster.

- Elbows higher on catch?

Anything I'm missing? More importantly, besides more practice, any suggestions on how to improve or what to fix first?

Thanks,
-- Chris

Last edited by Christian Mason : 11-26-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Attempting to Squat Clean

In one of the cleans, I noticed some forward lean which seemed to cause lower elbows. Also, I don't think your arms are supposed to bend at all until you are getting under the bar.

Am I correct, Lincoln?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

From what it appears you're just deadlifting it, then shrugging really hard to get under it before you lock it out. You want to get it just above your knees and then "jump" up with the weight in your locked straight arms, then reverse direction and get under the bar. Also work on getting your elbows higher; they should be parallel with the ground on the catch.

Practice cleans from the high hang, muscle cleans, and clean pulls w/o bending the arms to help fix your arm bend and extension problem. If I recall that is the typical Rx for these problems.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Yes, there's an early arm bend there.

The hip extension is not bad but more importantly the bar is not close enough to the thighs. This is causing you to jump forward and other bad things.

As for the pull-under, as Coach John Wooden said to his basketball players over and over and over,
"Be quick but don't hurry."
You're doing the opposite - rushing the start of the arm bend, not waiting to get the bar into proper position for the second pull and then floating into the bottom of the front squat. Be more patient before starting the second pull and then EXPLODE! BAM! And in the next nano-second BAM! get into the bottom of the front squat before the bar gets there.

Quicker elbows! WHIP them around like you mean it. Right now they are meandering in a northerly direction along with the change of the seasons.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Daniel Hoang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Yes, there's an early arm bend there.

The hip extension is not bad but more importantly the bar is not close enough to the thighs. This is causing you to jump forward and other bad things.

As for the pull-under, as Coach John Wooden said to his basketball players over and over and over,
"Be quick but don't hurry."
You're doing the opposite - rushing the start of the arm bend, not waiting to get the bar into proper position for the second pull and then floating into the bottom of the front squat. Be more patient before starting the second pull and then EXPLODE! BAM! And in the next nano-second BAM! get into the bottom of the front squat before the bar gets there.

Quicker elbows! WHIP them around like you mean it. Right now they are meandering in a northerly direction along with the change of the seasons.
That is awesome advice! Especially the metaphor there at the end.