CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:
Warm Up, how long it should takes?

Hello everyone,
Today I tried to shuffle I bit my usual warmup routine, adding something, putting out something else. The result was that I completed my warm up in about a half hour. It seemed too much to me since lately I was timing it and it was always around 15-20 minutes.
Is there some kind of indication about the duration of a normal (for what it means) warmup?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: Warm Up, how long it should takes?

Go to the FAQ and see the CrossFit Warm-up.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:

I've already read the FAQ recomendations for the warmup and for everything else.
And I know that if you do it as rx'd it will last about a quarter of hour or at max 20 minutes. But the things here is, since the Warmup can and should be used to practice whatever you need to improve, can you risk to do it too much?
I'll give you a real world example, I'm a beginner, and if I put into the WUP every exercise I need to practice, I will be doing WUP for about 16 hours a day!!
I think I should rotate a bit, and include just what is most important at the time, so I can limit the amount of time spent in the WUP.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:

I don't do the WU as set in stone. I think the main purpose is your heart rate goes up a tad and your joints/and muscles are prepared. Also use off days to learn movements.It realy depends on the time you have.Having said all that if you cannot do the WU as R'xd you should work on it for a good base.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I'm also pretty new - have just done WODS consistently since late June.

I usually do the CFWU, sometimes subbing a few reps of handstand pushup practice for one or more sets of the dips. I schedule about 15 minutes for it, and when I complete it in less time either add reps (move towards 15 rather than 10 reps), or add difficulty (ring dips instead of bar dips, GHD situps instead of other situps). Or both.

As a newbie, the CFWU is as much about strength building as warming up the body. I'll eyeball the WOD and cut back on bits of the CFWU that would kill my WOD performance, still making sure I warm up my 45 year old joints well enough.

Based on progress to date, I can see the day will come, though, when I'm doing 3 X 15 of a moderately difficult version of each movement, and am fit enough that the time I now budget for the warmup shrinks. And that the pre-WOD fatigue factor won't usually be worth paying attention to.

t.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Also, if you want to do skill work on other exercises, budget another 10 minutes. Just pick one or two each day to work on. Don't try to work on all of them each day.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

For example, a class lasts 1 hour, clients do the CFWU 2-3 rounds of 5 reps
each, we work on either skill or lift training, followed by the WOD. That's it.
Intensity of WOD determines what skill or lift training will be done. The CFWU
is a constant. We do scale down dependent upon fitness level. Also, for some
clients, additional mobility drills are done right after the CFWU. Still 1 hour.

Hope that helped.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

The purpose of any warmup is to get your system fired up (sweat, heart rate, flexibility, etc.).

The CFWU serves two purposes. First, it's a true warmup that does the above things. Second, it's basically a scaled pre-workout, the first benchmark, if you will. If you can do the CFWU as rx'd, you're probably ahead of most gym-goers. I'd recommend doing it until you can cruise through it with little effort (pullups and dips on rings, situps and back ext. on GHD.).

At this point, I use the warmup to work on some of the many things I suck at: OHS, double-unders, knees-to-elbows, etc.