CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Yesterday I finished rebuilding the gate I tore up with the step deployed on my travel trailer. Not good for the step either. I had tailgate down on my truck on the lower drive in front of the gym and set out a 2 x 4 so my almost 4 year old son son could walk the 5' span from the tailgate to the driveway that goes up to part of the backyard where the gate is. I held his hand the first time and he made it across without difficulty. A short time later he says "Watch daddy, I can do it myself." Almost immediately after that he lost his balance and flipped upside down landing on the back of his head and neck inches from the concrete landing on the beauty bark. He had his plastic ninja sword down the back of his shirt (in true ninja fashion he rarely goes anywhere unarmed...this is a bit of a battle on the way to school and church) so the little plastic handguard poked him in the neck on top of the impact with the ground.

Pretty good whack. I ran to him and picked him up as he was crying and carrying on pretty good. I sat him on the 2 x 4 and comforted him and in the midst of his crying and blubbering he said, "I wanna try that again."

I've never been so proud.

Here's some kids with some very interesting responses to relationship questions.

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHOM TO MARRY?

1. You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming.
Alan, age 10

2. No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you're stuck with.
Kirsten, age 10

WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
1. Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then.
Camille, age 10

2. No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married.
Freddie, age 6

HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
1. You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
Derrick, age 8

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
1. Both don't want any more kids.
Lori, age 8

WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
1. Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
Lynnette, age 8

2. On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.
Martin, age 10

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?
1. I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns.
Craig, age 9

WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
1. When they're rich.
Pam, age 7

2. The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.
Curt, age 7

3. The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do.
Howard, age 8

IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
1. I don't know which is better, but I'll tell you one thing. I'm never going to have sex with my wife. I don't want to be all grossed out.
Theodore, age 8

2. It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.
Anita, age 9

HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?
1. There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there?
Kelvin, age 8

HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
1. Tell your wife that she looks pretty even if she looks like a truck.
Ricky, age 10
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Ricky and Kirsten need to meet.

One day, Theodore is going to tell his wife she looks like a truck. The next day, he's gonna move in with Freddy.

Eugene, your little boy is #1 Ninja!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Great story. I see that in my son all the time. He wants to try things that look like fun, even if it means he's going to fall doing it. He rides a "Razor" scooter everywhere and jumps it over the speed bumps in our neighborhood. The other day, he pulled a "wheelie" on his scooter and went over the top; landed on his rump. He sat there stunned and promptly got back up and kept going. He's 100% boy!
I think I related the story of how he likes to walk along th top of a retaining wall that leads into one of the gyms I go to. The wall is only about 3 inches of the ground on one side and has a 3 ft drop on the other. One day while leaving the gym, he's doing his balancing act on the wall up ahead of me and one of the trainers from the gym stops him as she's going in. She tells him that it's not safe and that he needs to get down. She then tells me she's sorry, but she's a mother and doesn't want to see kids get hurt. I politely tell her "That's OK, I understand" and she moves on.
My boy promptly hops back up on the wall and finishes his balancing act, jumps off the wall, and says, "Ta da!" Afterward, he asks me, "What did that lady want?"
Guess I'm a bad father for wanting my son to learn a little self-confidence and also to learn from his mistakes. My thoughts on falling: How can you learn to walk if you've never fallen?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Eugene, awesome story, awesome kid.
JK
Old 05-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Steve Nugent

Profile:
You really made me miss my boys...http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/10638.jpgbut I'll get home soon.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
Robert F. Gutierrez

Profile:  
Just had to share this short story with you all. This past weekend my seven year old daughter and 3 year old son asked if I could take them for ice cream. I said that it was nap time and that we could go after they took a nap. My daughter told me that she wasn't tired and I replied "Well, do 100 squats and then you'll be nice and tired." To my surprise, she began doing squats in perfect form all the way down and all the way up. She has seen me doing squats, and on occasion she'll join me for 10-20 reps. I just looked at her like "Yeah right" and figured she would do maybe 10 or 20 and stop. To my surprise she kept on going as I counted for her. She would do ten reps and pause very briefly after each ten reps. When she got to 50 I told her that she was half way there. I couldnt believe how she was doing perfect bottom to bottom squats and she just kept going. She ended up doing 110 with the extra ten just for good measure.

Well, I just looked at her in amazement (and pride) and said "Well, let's go get some ice cream kids."
Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Of course you went and got the ice cream. A performance like that has to be rewarded. I'll bet in a randomly selected group of 100 people from a health club you could not find 10 who could do what your little girl did. You are setting a great example for them.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Robert,
Awesome story.
Can we go get ice cream. I really need to work on my squats!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Robert, great story.

LOL @ those kid quotes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Mike Burgener

Profile:
kids!!!! ya gotta love em!! i have not stopped laughing!!