CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Many thanks to Lynne Pitts for the information in the FAQ section on making medicine balls.
Though a used basketball was suggetsed, all I had was a thick-walled playground ball so I used it instead.
It's about twice the size of a basketball and it took about 21/2 bags of river gravel to fill it.
Scrapper (Wayne Fisher)stopped by our gym while on his vacation, and we'll be doing some training next week.
The new medicine ball (and me) should both get hammered by him. It was just in time, thanks again Lynne.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
How do home-made medicine balls hold up to ball slams? I would think that you'd have to put in a lot of effort to make a home-made slam ball.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
William Johnson

Profile:  
May I ask where you bought the playground ball? My local WallyWorld only has smaller ones that max out at around 21 or 22 lbs when filled with sand. Incidentally, I haven't used duct tape to close up the ball - I make a small cut, stick a funnel in and then pour in playground sand. Then I smear the cut with a two-part quick set epoxy with a half-inch of overlap on all sides. No problems so far! Make 5-8 of the balls that way then throw them in a duffle bag for some sandbag work, and take them out for other things! Don't know how it would hold up for slam ball, though.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Frank, you're very welcome, but I get no credit for the idea - I just gather 'em up and make 'em available.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Well, I just came back from the gym where I tried out the new home-made medicine ball.
Forget slams, when it hits the floor it doesn't move; however, it is great for power cleans.
I found out the ball weighs 92 lbs.
Good stuff!
Old 11-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I used my home-made medicine ball (about 20lbs)of sand, cheap soccor ball and duct tape for slam ball last week, generally yes once it hits the floor and dosen't move but i stood on the jigsaw mats we wrestle on it it gave it just enough bounce.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Frank--that's good stuff. Like playing with an Atlas ball! Next time you'll have to throw some lead shot in there to get it up to 150 or so...
Old 11-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
Nikki Young

Profile:
William, i wish i thought of the funnel idea! Would have worked better for the basketball i slit a knife through to get the sand in. The gaffa tape doesn't hold it together too well now, needless to say when i decided to see how it would go with a slam, its no good no more :X

I was wondering for those of you in Aus, what medicine balls do you use?? I'm thinking of putting one on my 'christmas wish list'. I would LOVE a dynamax one, but i'm pretty sure we can't get them here and shipping a 20lb ball from US would cost an arm and a leg. Any recomendations? The only ones i can find have 5kg as the heaviest in stock.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Having the ball go dead (no bounce) is usually considered a good thing for slams . . . you have to squat down and lift it again for the next slam . . . more work. The D-ball (not the Dynamax) is recommeded partly for that reason (and for being very tough).

I'm amazed if any of the homemade ones will last through a heavy set of slams . . . you guys must use a better grade of duct tape than I do. (I know my own homemade basketball/sand/duct tape balls would fall apart, for sure.)

I have a 20-lb rubber medicine ball that *does* bounce (good for some purposes, but not slamball). I usually throw it down on a gymnastics crash pad to kill the bounce, which works nicely.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
We have 2 thrift store basketballs that are holding up well after multiple rounds of slams, throws, etc. I used a .25" drill bit, funnelled the sand, and then shoved some cloth (old t-shirt) and a bunch of construction adhesive into the hole.

If you slam it hard enough it'll bounce 6 or 8 inches (enough to catch it if you get a good rhythm).