CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-08-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
Tyler Darr

Profile:  
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to CF and I go to the U.S. Naval Academy. I'm trying to get BUD/s after here and was wondering if there is an effective way to integrate swimming into the CF prgoram. Thanks
-Tyler Darr
Old 04-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Tyler, welcome.

There are a number of threads already on the go regarding swimming workouts. Do a search of the forums and you'll find some stuff.

There was also a Crossift Journal sometime in the last year with swim workouts, but I don't recall which issue. That would be worth getting.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

I tend to do stuff like
day 1 - heavy lifting (olympic-style squats, walking lunges, bench presses, weighted pullups)
day 2- swimming intervals for about 45 minutes,
day 3 - "typical" crossfit workout, lasting 15-25 minutes, using my full body, and making me want to puke. For example, 7 rounds for time:15 pullups, 25 pushups, 35 squats, or 3 rounds for time: 500m row, 15 one arm snatches per arm, 40 squats, 40 pushups
day 4 - rest
day 5 - repeat

Check out my workout log in the Workout of the Day section for more info; the title is the Road to the TSC. The heavy stuff makes me stronger and more powerful, the swimming is great for lung capacity and muscular endurance, in addition to being a great break from ground-focused training, and the third day puts it all together and is usually by far the hardest. This combination is working really well for me right now. The amount of swimming you should do depends on how good your technique is and how long you've been swimming. If you've got a lot of room for improvement, swimming 4-5 days a week would be a good idea. If you just want to maintain your swimming ability while shoring up other weak points, once a week is fine. If you're prepping for BUD/s you'll want to be sure to do lots of high rep pushups, flutter kicks, etc. Crossfit + swimming is great for overall fitness, but not optimal for the specific demands of BUD/s, or other equally serious physical challenges.

Since you're at USNA, are there many other guys there Crossfitting? I've tried to talk to the Navy ROTC guys here at Georgetown about it and they wanted to give it a shot at first but then seemed to lose interest.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Tyler Darr

Profile:  
Thanks for the info gentlemen!

Yah i know what ya mean about the initial interest and then falling off. I've had trouble finding someone to do this workout with me. There are quite a few of 'in the box' thinkers here, and this workout does sound a little crazy to begin with. But I may have a good partner now, so im excited about beasting this. Thanks again. I'll let everyone know how it goes.