CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #51
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: SS novice seeking advice

It's very unlikely that wrist strength is holding you back on the press. All your wrists really do is exert isometric force to keep the bar in line with your forearms.

As for your grip, most people will get better there without assistance work. As you do more pullups or deadlift more weight, your grip will get progressively stronger. But you could always throw in stuff like farmers walks a few times a week.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #52
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I haven't actually tried this yet, but I do mean to play around with it at some point (since I rarely press, and I need to):

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/08...hn-grimek.html (WFS)
Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #53
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I've managed to unstick my press pretty quickly with a 5-5-5+ progression. Not sure if you're looking to switch programs though, but that's an option. More tricep strength will help too, so you could add in some frequency method work on dips without messing up your recovery.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #54
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I've managed to unstick my press pretty quickly with a 5-5-5+ progression. Not sure if you're looking to switch programs though, but that's an option. More tricep strength will help too, so you could add in some frequency method work on dips without messing up your recovery.
I've heard several people mention 5-5-5+ for press and bench specifically, actually.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #55
Adam Carlson

Profile:

After consultation with Justin L, I've decided to try and do a 5-5-5+ for press and bench on the 70s Big program. Not wanting to make too many adjustments though, since I'm committed to doing that program for the long term until I really need to switch over.

As for the pull ups/chin ups, grease the groove, and you will see improvements. Do sets of 3 or 4 whenever you can multiple times throughout the day. Gradually increase the number of reps that you are doing each set. Your body will start to learn how to do the movement better, and the increased volume will help you increase your numbers. Johnny Pain also recommends doing the same thing with push ups. It might help with your lifts as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Eric: How would I go about doing that? As of right now I do dips twice a week, 3 sets to failure, weighted. Right now I'm doing them with 35# on a weight belt doing 6-10 reps usually. One day they come after power cleans and that isn't too bad, but the other day they come after bench press and that usually isn't conducive to doing too many reps. Sometimes I even have to put the weight down to 25# or unweighted to get out more than 6 reps.

@Tamara: I'm not sure what 5-5-5+ is, care to elaborate? I'd definitely be interested as I feel my upper body could use some un-sticking.

@Adam: I'll give the extra pull-up reps a shot, I actually just got a door-frame pull-up bar so that should be easy. Would you recommend pull-ups over chin-ups? Or does it matter?

Last edited by Kyle Planeaux : 05-15-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Just saw Adam's post
Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #57
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Planeaux View Post
@Tamara: I'm not sure what 5-5-5+ is, care to elaborate? I'd definitely be interested as I feel my upper body could use some un-sticking.
It's just a 3 x 5 set, but your last set is 5 or more. As many reps as possible, basically.

I'm doing it for my squats now. I exhausted linear progression with low bar, and now I reset and am doing high bar with 5-5-5+.

I went 5-5-7 the first week, 5-5-10 last week, and I'm definitely aiming for 5-5-10 again tomorrow. Even though I might die.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #58
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Kyle -

Pull ups/chin ups - doesn't really matter much which you go for, as long as you keep doing them. You will find that the increased volume will help a lot in improving your total reps. Just remember, you are doing this submaximally. Don't go to muscle failure. If you hit muscle failure, it will be harder to recover from, and that is not what we want.

As for the weighted dips, you can do those 5-5-5+ as well, and make sure that you are increasing the weight from week to week, even if it ist just a couple of pounds. What I do with the 70s Big program is this - weighted bar dips on Tuesdays after power cleans, and max reps of bodyweight ring dips on Thursdays, sometimes done in a 'rest/pause' style (meaning that I hit the first set to failure, rest for roughly 30 seconds, then do the next set, rest for 30 seconds, and then hit the last set). If you do the rest/pause style, your reps will probably look something like 15~20 for the first set, 8~10 for the second set, and 3~6 for the last set.

Just an option. I figure that since I'm already hitting the bench on Thursday, I've had plenty of weight in my hands. I might as well use it to build up strength endurance and learn to manage moving my bodyweight around well.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #59
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

Thanks for the lightning-fast responses, guys. Much appreciated.

@Tamara: I'll set my max back a week or two and give that a shot, see where it takes me.

@Adam: Sounds like a really solid approach, and it would address a lot of the problems I'm currently facing. Only thing is I don't have access to rings, so I suppose I could just attempt unweighted bar dips instead.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #60
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Good idea Kyle. Whether on the bars or the rings, max reps will give a different kind of systemic overload as compared to the weighted dips.