CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Carlos Gato

Profile:
Need help with bodyweight WOD programming... any takers?

Like it says guys i'm trying to put together a 3-4 week bodyweight WOD programming schedule to follow using Shane Skowrons Bodyweight Workout Resource v2.0 .pdf found here

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739 (sfw)

I'm just confused with programming because i want to stay in check with the principles of CF.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Need help with bodyweight WOD programming... any takers?

goals? where are you at? how much sleep do you get, what and how much do you eat? Why bw only?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
goals? where are you at? how much sleep do you get, what and how much do you eat? Why bw only?
Hello Jamie thanks for taking the time to help me out. To answer your questions.

1. Stats 5'8" 225lbs did crossfit for 6 months and fell in love. Took a rest from CF and now i'm back again.

2. When you say where are you at i'm a little confused? If you are talking about scaling workouts, I usually do the pack workouts and sometimes jump up to the porch workouts on the BrandX website. If you are talking about physique wise then my main goal is to drop some fat and reach the best fitness level I can.

3. I average 7-8 hours a night but i've pretty much had a touch of insomnia my whole life. I work 12 hour shifts (paramedic) so i usually get home and pass out so i can work out at 7am the next day.

4. I've really been focusing on my diet right now i wanted to add more fruits to my diet and i've definitely attained that goal. I also realize that I need to bump up my protein content a little bit and am working on a way to add a little more protein to my diet. My biggest issue is adding greens. Since i work on an ambulance all day (we don't go to a station) it's hard to find a way to keep veggies such as salad fresh. I might just go back to mashed sweet potato and maybe some sauted green beens.

But i'll give you todays meal plan as an example.
  • 7am Jack3D pre-workout drink and some sort of fruit (apple, banana or orange), multivitamin and Vitamin C supplement
  • 8-8:30am Post workout 1 scoop protein drink and a banana
  • 11am-12ish chobani greek yogurt
  • 2pm-3ish 1 cup cherries
  • 5pm-6ish chobani greek yogurt
  • 8pm-9ish whole wheat wrap with about 4 ounces lean ground turkey, brown rice, low fat shredded mozarella cheese. With medium sized orange
  • 10pm - 1.5 scoop protein drink then drive home and get some sleep.
The reason I say body weight only is because unfortunately because of my current living situation I do not have the financial means to afford joining an affiliate gym nor do i have the space to keep equipment such as squat racks, medicine balls, barbells, dumbbells or rings.

I am however currently saving money on a set of adjustable DB's or Kettlebells but it's going to take some time.

I currently workout at a nearby park which gives me access to a pullup bar, monkey bars, low pull up bar, parallel dip bars, balance beams and some other random park equipment. I also own a jump rope, heavy duty resistance bands (200+ lbs of resistance).

Please let me know if you need any clarification on anything. THANKS!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gato View Post
If you are talking about physique wise then my main goal is to drop some fat and reach the best fitness level I can.
  • 7am Jack3D pre-workout drink and some sort of fruit (apple, banana or orange), multivitamin and Vitamin C supplement
  • 8-8:30am Post workout 1 scoop protein drink and a banana
  • 11am-12ish chobani greek yogurt
  • 2pm-3ish 1 cup cherries
  • 5pm-6ish chobani greek yogurt
  • 8pm-9ish whole wheat wrap with about 4 ounces lean ground turkey, brown rice, low fat shredded mozarella cheese. With medium sized orange
  • 10pm - 1.5 scoop protein drink then drive home and get some sleep.
I see two primary problems here.
1. You're eating tons of cabs.
2. The vast majority of your protein is coming from dairy.
If you want to lose body fat, cut back on the carbs and get rid of the dairy. Focus on eating solid food (not protein shakes and yogurt). As for the greens, if you have a few cups of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, etc. with 1-2 meals/day, you should be covered. Like you said, you should probably trying upping your protein intake as well.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Reilly View Post
I see two primary problems here.
1. You're eating tons of cabs.
2. The vast majority of your protein is coming from dairy.
If you want to lose body fat, cut back on the carbs and get rid of the dairy. Focus on eating solid food (not protein shakes and yogurt). As for the greens, if you have a few cups of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, etc. with 1-2 meals/day, you should be covered. Like you said, you should probably trying upping your protein intake as well.
Hey Matt thanks for the heads up, i agree with you as I was typing it out i was saying to myself DAMN THATS ALOT OF CARBS. I'm going to cut back on them a bit. As far as the chobani yogurt i eat it because IMHO i think it's pretty well rounded nutritional "snack" at

140 cals per serving
20g carbs
14g protein
0 Fat

please correct me if i'm wrong...

my main problem is that i'm out of the house 12 hours of the day so i have to choose foods that can remain fresh, be eaten as is, and taste decent without microwaving.

and holy crap i forgot all about broccoli... i actually enjoy broccoli so i'll definitely be adding that to my meals.

I do appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing more!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

GOALS? What are they? Where are you refers to where you are in regards to your goals. If you want a six pack, what's your BF. If you want to deadlift 500, what is it now, etc. Also, any weaknesses you know of.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
GOALS? What are they? Where are you refers to where you are in regards to your goals. If you want a six pack, what's your BF. If you want to deadlift 500, what is it now, etc. Also, any weaknesses you know of.
I understand now Jamie.

As posted earlier I am 5'8" and 225lbs. My main goal is to trim down. I'm hoping for the 170-180lb range. I don't need a six pack, (though it wouldn't be so bad lol) I want to be able to put on a medium shirt and feel good about it. (Don't think i've ever even owned a medium shirt). I think that i'm at a decent health level (I have very low cholesterol, my average resting heart rate is in the mid 50 to low 60's, bp averages in the high teens to mid 120's. I do a mid 7 minute mile run.) I Also want to achieve a much higher level of overall fitness

Unfortunately my BF% is a rough guesstimate as I have not received my calipers in the mail yet. Based on an online calculator 27.82% using the US NAVY calculations.

My weaknesses right now are in doing pullups/muscle ups. Also i have an old shoulder injury to the right shoulder but it really hasn't stopped me during my WOD's.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

I'm in the same boat as you. I am wanting to help use a limited equipment WOD program for my wife and also for myself in future, because I won't have access to any equipment besides pullup bar/dip/and some powerblocks.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
As far as the chobani yogurt i eat it because IMHO i think it's pretty well rounded nutritional "snack" at

140 cals per serving
20g carbs
14g protein
0 Fat

please correct me if i'm wrong...

my main problem is that i'm out of the house 12 hours of the day so i have to choose foods that can remain fresh, be eaten as is, and taste decent without microwaving.

and holy crap i forgot all about broccoli... i actually enjoy broccoli so i'll definitely be adding that to my meals.
Ok, I have a few things to add. First off, looking back at your sample meal plan, you are eating almost no fat. Also, you said that yogurt (which has 0 grams of fat) is a "well rounded" snack. This makes me wonder if you are part of the "fat-phobic" crowd. I think that on this message board you'll find that most people recommend a diet that is relatively high in fat/protein and lower in carbs, especially if dropping body fat is your primary concern. Also, dairy is potent insulin-spiker and should generally be avoided when trying to lean-out (same reason that carbs should be lowered).

That being said, being out of the house 12 hours a day will definitely complicate things. Are you on the ambulance for all 12 hours? Can you bring any kind of cooler/insulate lunch box to work?

When I know I won't have access to good food for an extend period of time, I pack a cooler with pork steaks (cooked the night before), bags of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots from Trader Joe's (I like to eat them raw), and avocados. I also bring a bag of macadamia nuts if I need some extra fat.

If you don't have access to a cooler/insulated lunch box, things get a little more complicated. If you only have access to a small lunch box, you could still do something like a chicken breast and avocado or bag of nuts. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Like it says guys i'm trying to put together a 3-4 week bodyweight WOD programming schedule to follow using Shane Skowrons Bodyweight Workout Resource

I'm just confused with programming because i want to stay in check with the principles of CF.
What exactly are you confused about? Are you worried about not getting enough variety/overdoing an exercise? Ex: doing pullup-centric WODS 3 days in a row.

How many WODs a week are you looking to do?

Assuming you are following a 3:1 schedule, I would probably do something like this:

Day 1: Cindy
Day 2: Skill work + 50-40-30-20-10 Double unders and sit-ups
Day 3: 8x200m sprints
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: GI Jane (100 burpee-pullups)
Day 6: Skill work + run 5x1min for max distance
Day 7: Death by push-up + max rep dips
Day 8: Rest
Day 9: 100 burpees (jump laterally over an obstacle)
Day 10: Skill work + Tabata sprints (hilly terrain)
Day 11: 400m walking lunges
Day 12: Rest
Possible skill work exercises: bar muscle-up practice, handstands, work on HSPUs and pistols if you can't do them yet, juggling (just find some rocks in the park), etc.

Most people on these boards don't seem to do this much running. However, since you don't have access to weights, I recommend using this time to improve your running ability and focus on getting stronger once you have access to barbells.