CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Beginner Weight/Body Composition Fluctuation (and Frustration)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
From an anthropological/biological perspective, which the Paleo diet is entirely based on, lean meat (especially wild game, which includes lots of "red" meat) is a good, if not necessary thing, especially if you are performing intense exercise like CF.
John makes a good point here. Other than dropping grains and dairy altogether, the biggest change for me with Paleo is that I now eat meat at every meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner = meat. I pretty much start with meat and build around it. I eat things like nuts, dried fruit and avocados as my snack, and that seems to give me plenty of fat. That's where FitDay helped me gauge the breakdown of what I was eating. 2 oz of walnuts doesn't look like much, but it is 370 calories and 37g of fat. If you are eating a lot of nuts, you could easily be getting a lot more fat than you are intending.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

When I decided to lose a few pounds, the only thing I had to do was drop the "handful" of nuts I was eating every few hours. Didnt seem like much, but that small change allowed me to drop from 182 to 176 in about 3 weeks without changing much else. (I don't eat paleo but try to follow the "Meat & Veggies...." Crossfit mantra)
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Wow, just from first glance, your diet looks 100 times better than the average person's.

This link was posted in another thread, it's a great read for someone that is intensely exercising but holding fat around the middle (work and family safe except for an occasional swear). Read the comments too.http://*************/2008/09/10/exerc...-for-fat-gain/
Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe BMI is good for populations not for people. Ignore it, it is not an appropriate tool for what you are using it for.

GOMAD is a gallon of whole or raw milk a day and it's used by people on a dedicated strength program to help with recovery and muscle growth. It is not for you.

Also, I'd ditch the lentils and beans and replace them with meat.

Pay more attention to the weight on the bar, the number of rep or the time than the weight on the scale.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 01-18-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Give things a little more time too. I've been crossfitting for about a year now. I initially lost 15 lbs or so by making some easy changes because I easily had it to lose.

But now that I've been working on the last 10 or so it's proven much more difficult. I'm constantly hovering around the same weight...meanwhile I get comments from people all the time that I'm getting even thinner...if I get any thinner I won't exist...etc. In my mind I'm thinking, "well I've weighed the same weight for 6 months now so I don't see how that is." But even though my weight is the same or even more than a couple months ago and even though I don't see the changes every day in the mirror doesn't mean they aren't there....it's just harder to notice such things when you see yourself every single day.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I'm also going to plug the food log. I really like FitDay.

After I started Paleo in October, I dropped a few pounds (that was not a goal), but then I kept dropping. I'm down to 135 lbs at 5'8, which is definitely really lean for me because I know I'm carrying a good amount of muscle. I lost 5 lbs in the last 4 weeks, and that coincided with me feeling very tired and sluggish. My strength stuff was right on, but I felt like I was dragging in metcons. I assumed I was eating 2200-2400 calories a day, but when I plugged everything into FitDay, I realized that I was only hitting 1900-2000 on most days. So, I upped my calories by adding some more fat with coconut milk, walnuts and avocado. I definitely felt better this week and didn't drop any more weight. I mean, I thought I knew what I was eating everyday, but I was pretty off on the total calories (and yes, I did buy a food scale to weigh portions to be accurate, UGH).

I would say focus on how you are feeling and performing more than how you look. Two months of CrossFit isn't that long, and you said you have definitely seen some body and performance changes. Also, I pointed this out in the "Girl Power" thread a little while ago (definitely check that out if you haven't already), but we sometimes focus so much on CrossFit making people "hot" that we forget that CrossFit builds all sorts of bodies. Look at the videos from the 2009 Games and compare body types - Jocelyn Forest, Sarah Dunsmore, Gillian Mounsey, Carey Kepler, Jenni Orr - right there you have 5 drastically different body types on 5 amazing athletes.
Hey Tamara! Per your recommendation I checked out fitday and signed up immediately. It's a great site and easy to use!

Thanks for sharing!

BTW-I agree with you on body type and being fit. We're here to be at peak physical condition not to live up to someone else's ideal. Physically fit bodies are hot bodies and they come in all shapes and sizes.

Last edited by Marcus Thompson : 01-19-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Give things a little more time too. I've been crossfitting for about a year now. I initially lost 15 lbs or so by making some easy changes because I easily had it to lose.

But now that I've been working on the last 10 or so it's proven much more difficult. I'm constantly hovering around the same weight...meanwhile I get comments from people all the time that I'm getting even thinner...if I get any thinner I won't exist...etc. In my mind I'm thinking, "well I've weighed the same weight for 6 months now so I don't see how that is." But even though my weight is the same or even more than a couple months ago and even though I don't see the changes every day in the mirror doesn't mean they aren't there....it's just harder to notice such things when you see yourself every single day.
Matt, just wanted to say that I'm in almost EXACTLY the same position. CF'ing about a year, staying the same weight for 6 months, aiming for that last bit of chub, but people commenting more on how thin I look. Good times
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Rex Oliver

Profile:

Bethany,
I experienced weight gain even after 5 weeks of CF. What I didn't realize was my consumption of food was twice as much as before CF. it was not until our nutritional challenge did I realize how much I was consuming. I chose Paleo ( stricht Paleo ) thats when the weight started coming off I started in September I have since lost, 3" in my waist and 24 lbs thats just on the outside. The Inside (blood work) Before CF Triglicerides 479 Glucose 135 A1c 7.0 (diabetic out of control) 4 months of CF Triglicerides 171
Glucose 115 A1c 5.9 my Cholesterol was so bad there was no hdl/ldl ratio
today hdl/ldl ratio 3.5. although my numbers are not great and I have not totally arrived there has been drastic changes. I just want you to know that even if you see no changes on the outside or negative changes, be patient I assure you changes are happening and they are happening in a good way.
Take care hang in there.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Troy Becker

Profile:

You are on the right track, making your workouts and diet a matter of record will only help- do not think you are not making progress, you are!

***Remember: the best measure of progress is your workout performance. Concentrate on THAT, and the rest will all fall into place.***
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Thompson View Post
Hey Tamara! Per your recommendation I checked out fitday and signed up immediately. It's a great site and easy to use!

Thanks for sharing!

BTW-I agree with you on body type and being fit. We're here to be at peak physical condition not to live up to someone else's ideal. Physically fit bodies are hot bodies and they come in all shapes and sizes.
You're welcome! FitDay is fun to play with...although the sheer number of processed foods that have nutritional info available is pretty gross.

What drove me back to the gym was a self pic. I didn't think "I'm too fat." I looked at the pic and thought, "Wow, no one would ever see me now and think that I was ever an athlete." And that was scary because being an athlete had always been my identity. So, I appreciate it much more now when someone says I look "fit" instead of "skinny."