CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Running Barefoot Question

I am buying into the science or argument that running barefoot is better than using fancy running shoes. Here is a good article I came across, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ste-money.html. YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

My question is when they talk about running barefoot are they mostly talking about distance running (i.e. Pose or Chi Method)? Or are the so called experts referring to any running even sprinting and track work such as 400m and 800m?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Jason Martin

Profile:
Re: Running Barefoot Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I am buying into the science or argument that running barefoot is better than using fancy running shoes. Here is a good article I came across, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ste-money.html.

My question is when they talk about running barefoot are they mostly talking about distance running (i.e. Pose or Chi Method)? Or are the so called experts referring to any running even sprinting and track work such as 400m and 800m?
Distance, but you won't see an elite sprinter in an Asics motion control shoes.

I made the switch (VFF and BF) 4 months ago and will never... ever... go back to running in shoes with ridiculous padded heels, gels and what not. For a year and a half I spent money on all kinds of shoes that did nothing but injure me. What a scam.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
Distance, but you won't see an elite sprinter in an Asics motion control shoes.
Thanks. I never did track as a kid so I didn't know but upon further research I was reading that track spike shoes basically have zero padding. They are basically a strip of plastic with some spikes. So, I guess that answers my question.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Distance. Any high-level runner at the distances you listed is going to be wearing track spikes that barely qualify as shoes anyway and they are going to be on their toes for the entire race.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
Jason Robillard

Profile:

I concur... track spikes are about as minimal as you can get (except for Vibrams, perhaps).
Old 12-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Justin Stover

Profile:

+1 on VFF distance running

Deployed to Iraq right now, and running with Asics. I miss my VFF because I felt like I was running more natural and with a better stride. I do everything in them except for OLY lifts, and box jumps. (Feels very weird landing on top of box)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Brian Negrotto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Stover View Post
+1 on VFF distance running

Deployed to Iraq right now, and running with Asics. I miss my VFF because I felt like I was running more natural and with a better stride. I do everything in them except for OLY lifts, and box jumps. (Feels very weird landing on top of box)
I leave in 16 days to go back to Iraq. Like you, I love my VFF, BUT, with the uniform thing and all that, they are out of the question. What shoes, does anyone reccomend, that best simulate that VFF feel? I guess as far as regs go, all they really need to do is be able to be worn with socks. Thanks...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I've tried a few shoes and none really mimic the barefoot feel that VFF's do. My favorites so far are Pumas, though. Minimal padding on a few models, and you could always go with the H-Streets, which are more of a racing flat; they're good for running, but not much else, as the sole is very narrow and a bit hard to do things like oly lifting in.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Justin Stover

Profile:

Brian,

I would say bring your VFF anyways. A few guys have been wearing them at the gym, and nobody has jacked them up. I regret bringing mine.

Good luck on your tour, I am 20 days from going home!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Jason Robillard

Profile:

First of all, thanks for serving, guys! You have my unwavering respect and support.

As far as VFF alternatives, I hear the Feelmax shoes are great. I haven't tried them myself, but several barefoot friends swear by them.