CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Richard Im

Profile:
Pull-Up Bar Rusting - Advice

I recently bought steel tube, 1.25" OD from discount steel. It is uncoated and unfinished and I completely overlooked this when purchasing. Now, its slowly rusting a little bit and I can tell because my hands are slightly orange after doing pull ups. Its in the garage so I thought it would be OK but its been very humid.

I am now looking to purchase another bar and this time im thinking either:
*Stainless Steel tube
*Galvanized Pipe

Galvanized Pipe comes in 3/4" (1.05" OD) which would fit in my bar brackets, where 1" (1.38" OD) will not. Pipe OD is not what the measurement refers to.

Stainless steel tube costs twice as much, nearly $30 for a 5' span.

Will galvanized pipe be suitable or should i go all out with the stainless tube?

If stainless tube, will 16ga be strong enough or 11 be required? My current steel tube is 12 ga and its definitely strong enough. Just wondering if 16 ga would be to withstand pull-ups and ring dips.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Anjali Patwari

Profile:
Re: Pull-Up Bar Rusting - Advice

Richard,

As long as there aren't any gaps on the end and it is not rusting on the inside, you should just be able to rub it down with MEK to get rid of the rusting. Not sure what the cost is on a bottle of MEK, but you could give it a shot before replacing the bar!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Neal Fischer

Profile:

Anjali makes a good point. Exterior oxidation will not have much effect on the "strength" of the bar. A dollar of athletic tape will keep the rust off of your hands.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Hey Richard,

Here's a $6 fix that you might want to try. Buy a medium to fine grit piece of sandpaper and sand the bar down until all the rust is off.

Follow it up with about 3 coats of flat black Rustoleum paint.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Richard Im

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjali Patwari View Post
Richard,

As long as there aren't any gaps on the end and it is not rusting on the inside, you should just be able to rub it down with MEK to get rid of the rusting. Not sure what the cost is on a bottle of MEK, but you could give it a shot before replacing the bar!
Will the MEK keep the bar slippery? I could try this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Fischer View Post
Anjali makes a good point. Exterior oxidation will not have much effect on the "strength" of the bar. A dollar of athletic tape will keep the rust off of your hands.
It's not so much the strength of the current bar being compromised, I just didn't want to work with rusting gear and have it all over my hands and potentially entering cuts or pull-up tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jaeger View Post
Hey Richard,

Here's a $6 fix that you might want to try. Buy a medium to fine grit piece of sandpaper and sand the bar down until all the rust is off.

Follow it up with about 3 coats of flat black Rustoleum paint.
I thought about spray painting it, but was worried it would flake off and potentially get into my hands etc. I did consider powder coating but i am still waiting to hear back on cost from a local shop.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Joey Allen

Profile:

I'd get it powder-coated. For one small bar in black, that couldn't be more than $20. No need to purchase a new bar, that's for sure. Let us know what you end up doing.

FYI, I wrapped one of my pull-up bars in some soft tennis raquet grip (tourna-grip) that I had leftover. While it felt nice, it wouldn't let me hands move.. it was TOO grippy. I took it off and much prefer just a powder-coated bar.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Paint it with POR-15

wfs
http://www.advanced-rust-protection....FfFDMgodHksAxQ