CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Fontana Lim

Profile:  
...from a newbie.

I've just recently run across crossfit and I'm pretty pumped to start up the workouts. I've run into a few problems though...

First off is the olympic lifts. I've been lifting weights for a few years (usually compound movements like DL's and squats...) but I've never attempted to try the Olympic lifts because they seemed to be more 'complex' with a greater chance for injury. I've been practicing the movements just with a 45lbs bar, but I'm not sure if I should continue doing this until I have the movements down before starting the WOD's, or if there are any substitution exercises (where I can also keep practicing the lifts on the side).

My second problem has to do with facilities. I know crossfit is a minimalist workout (in terms of equipment), but it's been kinda difficult (for me, anyways) to find a place where I can do 400m sprints and cleans at the same place.

Any help on these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Welcome Fontana!

In answer to your first question, if substitution is needed then just use a variant of the lifts you feel comfortable with - power cleans for example are fairly straightforward. As long as you are careful and pay attention to certain basics (back straight or slightly arched, head up, big chest, push through the heels, snap the hips and jump) you'll be fine. In the meantime, continue to work with the empty bar, perhaps as part of your warm-up, to improve your form. While you're at it, check out Dan John's site, in particular the "Get Up" archives, it's a fantastic resource for quality training info: http://www.danjohn.org/coach

As for the second question, feel free to substitute other exercises for the runs if facilities are not ideal - using a treadmill is fine, rowing, skipping (my preferred variant) even burpees all work well. OK, none of these can fully recreate actual running, but part of the joy of Crossfit is doing "what you can, where you can". (And if anybody knows who that quote is from, please let me know, because I can't remember for the life of me!)

Anyway, good luck Fontana, be prepared to make substitutions if you have to, try to ensure that any you make are appropriate and necessary, and you'll be fine!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Peter nailed it, I'd only add, treadmill or there has to be some parking lot outside your gym...measure out 400m and you have your running course. Regardless, measure out 400m somewhere and time yourself for a 400m run and a 800m run. When you sub (say stairclimbing) go as hard as you can for your 400/800m time.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Sabine Knedlik

Profile:  
Hi Fontana,
I just started the CrossFit exercises last week and am pretty excited about it too. Just like you said, I find it difficult to do the workouts in a regular gym setup. I have trouble even completing the 3 warmup rounds because there is always someone taking over the pullup/dip machine (I can't do them yet without help) or other equipment I was using. I try to find times when the gym is less crowded ...and on busy days I envy those that have a garage gym...
Good luck to you!
Sabine
Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
hi all--new here, but figured I'd just jump in.

As far as learning the Oly lifts, practice definitely makes perfect. You may even want to focus on some of the component movements (e.g., jump shrugs, pulls, etc.) in the beginning, and progress to the full movement.

As to your other problem, once you feel comfortable with the lifts, you can buy a set of Kettlebells, or even low-cost dumbbells, and take one or two to the local track. If the weather's nice, it takes some of the sting out of working yourself sick!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Michael Nobori

Profile:
Welcome aboard, Kenneth.