CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Mike Lian

Profile:
Re: Get Rx'd Guillotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Scott View Post
I seriously considered going with the Guillotine from Get Rx'd, but the wonky pull up bar that rotates (see their disclaimer on the product page) and the short spotter bars put me off.
We have fixed these issues +more in our new model. It now also comes with some extra features!

http://www.getrxd.net/index.php/rack...illotine8.html (WFS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Walkley View Post
I have it and I like it. I only dead hang so the pull up bar doesn't bother me. It seems well constructed and very stable. I have had it for about a month now and couldn't be happier. I also live in Houston so I drove down and picked it up. For $350 I couldn't beat it.
Glad you're enjoying it Quinn!!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Thanks Mike, I saw the announcement on FB.

I'm liking the improvements made
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Craig Freel

Profile:

Can you make an 8' guillotine (all the changes are great) but 9' high?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Mike Lian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Freel View Post
Can you make an 8' guillotine (all the changes are great) but 9' high?
This literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. We JUST changed it from 9' to 8' to fit in more garages/gyms with lower ceilings.

I'm sure if the 8' Guillotine is well received with all the new updates (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be) - we will be using its design on a variety of different heights.

To answer your question specifically though, we don't have any plans set in stone to make a 9' model at this time.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Wayne Richard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lian View Post
This literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. We JUST changed it from 9' to 8' to fit in more garages/gyms with lower ceilings.

I'm sure if the 8' Guillotine is well received with all the new updates (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be) - we will be using its design on a variety of different heights.

To answer your question specifically though, we don't have any plans set in stone to make a 9' model at this time.
How long will the special pricing be avail? Need to save a bit longer, as shipping adds another 35% to the cost.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
Mike Lian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Richard View Post
How long will the special pricing be avail? Need to save a bit longer, as shipping adds another 35% to the cost.
Hey Wayne,

We generally have special pricing on new equipment until we sell enough units to get some real feedback. For the 8' Guillotine - I'd say we would probably be reviewing the pricing after the first 30-40 units are sold.

Right now, it's super aggressively priced with all the features/accessories that come with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

I wish those long spotter arms were available on my 9ft. I just bought it 2 months ago.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

I ended up buying the Guillotine about a month ago.
What first drew me to the Get RX'd Guillotine was the price. At $365 (plus $128 S&H) it looked to be a good deal. With a little more research, I found the Guillotine to be a GREAT deal (even with shipping). My initial reluctance was that it was fairly new to the market with little to no reviews. After some back and forth on my choices, I bit the bullet and decided to take a chance on the Guillotine. Delivery was quick, I ordered on Feb 8 and it was delivered on Feb 14. It arrived via freight, in two boxes marked "made in china". No surprise there. I actually expected it at this price point. Everything was well packaged and no damage from transit.

Assembly
I barely looked at the directions as its pretty straight forward to put together. Attach lower cross members and attach the two pull-up bars. Included are plates to mount opposite of the cross member and pull-up bars. The cross member went together with no issues but with the pull up bars, the holes in the plates were too small. Initially I left them off. That is, until I got overzealous with my impact driver and slightly deformed the square tubing (oops!). After taking some time to drill out the holes, I mounted only the standard diameter bar (also included is a 2" fat bar). This was my original set up because there's no reason to have the fat bar there if the regular bar is in the way. The option I'm running with now is to mount the two bars "horizontal", that is, the mounting holes are 90* to the normal setup with the rack's uprights. With this setup, only one hole can be used to mount them. I thought about using chain or something to support the other end of the bars but ended up with something cleaner. The extra plates were cut in half and placed above and below the bars to prevent rotating of the bars. With this setup, you end up with the two bars offset by about a foot and they can be both used (either face front or facing back per bar).

Use
The rack has been rock solid and the massive 4x6 footprint really keeps it stable during pull ups. With the provided storage posts, weights can be added to increase stability. There are also provisions in the rack to bolt it to the floor, but I think are unnecessary and only increase the already large footprint of the rack. I think mounting holes directly through the base (instead of a "tab") would be cleaner. The J hooks do the job well and the lining protects the bar from damage. It seems I'm bringing the bar in a little high and it catches on the top portion of the lining. It would be nice if the top lining piece was taller or tapered/ beveled. The two foot long spotter arms are also lined to protect from drops. The spotter arms are slightly off square but don't affect function at all.

Features
The Guillotine is marketed as a squat rack with a pull up bar but is much more than that. The primary features include: Squat rack with spotter arms, pull up bar(s) and dip bars. There are also provisions for lower and upper band attachment. Some other features I've found are neutral grip pull ups, rotating grip pull ups, "flying" pull ups, and the ability to set up for ring use in a low ceiling environment.

Bottom line
The home Crossfit gym market continues to grow and Get RX'd have a firm foothold in that market with the Guillotine. I'm glad I took a risk to try out this rack; it's more like a half cage than just a squat rack.
I can honestly say there is nothing else on the market that matches it with versatility and value.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Mike Carter

Profile:

Great review. Just a few quick questions.

When you mention "deformed" the steel tube, did you dent it or scratch it badly?

Ref the holes that were too small. Is that for the welded supports on the pull up bars that attach to the rack?

How did you accomplish neutral pull ups?

Lastly, does it feel solid and durable?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

When you mention "deformed" the steel tube, did you dent it or scratch it badly?

I can show pics of the tubing in a few days (I'm on the road) I just a little to crazy with the impact driver and over torqued some bolts.

Ref the holes that were too small. Is that for the welded supports on the pull up bars that attach to the rack?

when you mount the bars, theres a plate that goes on the opposite side of the tubing. Those holes were a little small.

How did you accomplish neutral pull ups?
You take the spotter arm with band pegs in "dip" position and move it to the highest position posible (about 7 ft)

Lastly, does it feel solid and durable?

Yeah, its very solid. I wanted to drop a loaded bar on the supports but can't really do that with my broken wrist. I did, however, stand on the spotter arm and hop up and down. kipping is minimal with no weight on the storage pegs.