CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Steven Beckham

Profile:
Donating a kidney

Would there be any major health concerns about doing CrossFit for someone who donated a kidney? I read that high blood pressure could be an issue but would eating paleo be enough to make up for that?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Donating a kidney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Beckham View Post
Would there be any major health concerns about doing CrossFit for someone who donated a kidney? I read that high blood pressure could be an issue but would eating paleo be enough to make up for that?
I can't give a medical answer, but I can tell you that I have been doing Crossfit for nearly three years with just one kidney. I had the other removed when I was a young boy. I haven't experienced any issues in Crossfit that I felt were related to just having the one kidney.

That said, talk to your doc about it. Don't depend on Internet forums and articles.

- Mark
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

I donated a kidney to my husband 5 years ago and have been Crossfitting about a year and a half.

There is a risk to donors of potentially having higher blood pressure, but, in the five years time I have not had that issue. Sometimes I wonder if it is more age than the loss of a kidney.... The best thing you can do is to keep active, eat healthy, and keep a healthy weight. Make sure you ask your assigned coordinator (and they should also have assigned you a donor nephrologist) questions, questions and more questions so you know fully what to expect both after the surgery and in the future.

One thing I have found is that I get dehydrated easier - make sure you have and drink plenty of fluid.

The other piece of advice I have is to make sure you discuss with the surgeon EXACTLY what you are doing so they can formulate a good time line for you to return to exercising. I was not Crossfitting at the time, but doing standard strength training. However, as I talked to the surgeon, it was pretty obvious he had no idea what I was doing and the type of weight I was moving. We then talked in more detail regarding movements and weight, so he was able to more accurately formulate a graduated return and weight scale for me. Don't let your ego get the best of you - follow their instructions to the letter. As he said - not a problem if you don't, just more surgery to repair a hernia. No thank you!

Not sure what your situation is, but if you want to PM me you are more than welcome. I am happy to share any information or answer any questions you have regarding donating.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Steven Beckham

Profile:

Thanks for the info. First off, I love Mark's signature quote about poor form.

This is just something I've started looking into and wanted to be sure it wouldn't have any long term impact on doing CrossFit before I went any farther or talked to doctors about it. Sounds like the hardest part might be following doctor's orders during recovery...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Beckham View Post
Thanks for the info. First off, I love Mark's signature quote about poor form.
I take no credit. That's one of Mark Rippetoe's classics.

More here (not particularly wfs; language).

- Mark
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I can't give a medical answer, but I can tell you that I have been doing Crossfit for nearly three years with just one kidney. I had the other removed when I was a young boy. I haven't experienced any issues in Crossfit that I felt were related to just having the one kidney.

That said, talk to your doc about it. Don't depend on Internet forums and articles.

- Mark
Yeah, you should always check with a professional because it depends on the situation. As in it doesn't always pan out the same with every person.