CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Jason Walkup

Profile:
Garage Gym Flooring: Stall mats vs ROGUE RUBBER TILE

I have recently started building my own personal garage gym. What I'm wondering is if it's really bad to for the bar/bumper plates to be used on a concrete floor. And also what is the difference between stall mats vs. the mats rogue sells on their website. From what i've seen a lot of crossfitters use stall mats as a cheaper alternative. I was just curious if the rogue mats were way better/better quality.http://board.crossfit.com/images/cno...lies/shrug.gif

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym Flooring: Stall mats vs ROGUE RUBBER TILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Walkup View Post
I have recently started building my own personal garage gym. What I'm wondering is if it's really bad to for the bar/bumper plates to be used on a concrete floor. And also what is the difference between stall mats vs. the mats rogue sells on their website. From what i've seen a lot of crossfitters use stall mats as a cheaper alternative. I was just curious if the rogue mats were way better/better quality.http://board.crossfit.com/images/cno...lies/shrug.gif

Thanks!
Both are thick rubber matting. Probably not much diffrence except pricing. Also, the Rogue mats are 1 1/2 in vs stall mats run 1/4-1/2in.

I've never come across the Rogue mats but the stall mats are good quality. I was looking to pick some up from Tractor Supply Co. but they were out. The store did carry an equivalent rolled mat sold by the foot. 1/4 inch was around $4 a foot and 3/8 in for $ 5-something. I bought a 4x4 square to use in order to test.

So, depending on how often to have to dump your lift and how much weight is on the bar, it comes down to how much you want to spend....
Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Both are thick rubber matting. Probably not much diffrence except pricing. Also, the Rogue mats are 1 1/2 in vs stall mats run 1/4-1/2in.

I've never come across the Rogue mats but the stall mats are good quality. I was looking to pick some up from Tractor Supply Co. but they were out. The store did carry an equivalent rolled mat sold by the foot. 1/4 inch was around $4 a foot and 3/8 in for $ 5-something. I bought a 4x4 square to use in order to test.

So, depending on how often to have to dump your lift and how much weight is on the bar, it comes down to how much you want to spend....
Stall mats are the way to go if you've got a local Tractor Supply type company in your area. Shipping Rubber Mats weighing in at about 100lbs each is an expensive option. The Tractor Supply stores offer a 6 x 4 x 3/4" thick mat normally priced between $30-40 each. That's about $1.25-$1.50 a square foot. They provide great protection for your floor and equipment and for that price, well...do the math to see what makes sense.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Gene Pires

Profile:

If you live near the country (do you see horses around), then you should be able to find some kind of local retailer of supplies for people with horses. We got a Del's and another store that sells stall mats. Just look up for farm or horse supplies in the phone book.
(so old school using a phone BOOK instead of online search function)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

if your location is right then go here

RIPON #1303
860 N JACK TONE RD - RIPON CA 95366
(209) 599-1150

Its a tractor supply near ya.

The $30 a mat (price here in Texas) is well worth it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Jason,

There's a Tractor Supply Co. about half hour south of you off 99S. Worth the 30 minute drive to get the stall mats.

I'd call ahead to see if they have the mats, or the rolled matting as a stated in my previous post.

Good luck and let us know what you went with.

Michael