CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Jessica Harp

Profile:
A Weight Watchers & Paleo Question

Hello! I'm new here. I've been trying to find some help regarding a WW vs. Paleo question, and when I googled this question, it seemed like there was a lot of Paleo knowledge on this board. I was hoping some of you might have some WW experience and that maybe you could help answer a question for me.

I've been hearing a lot about Paleo. I've picked up a few books, and the more I read, the more it makes sense. I've been eating fake food all these years! No wonder I haven't been able to lose weight! I've started to make the transition to eating mostly lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables. To be honest, this has been fantastic for my body (I'm seeing the scale go down almost daily), and I feel great. Over the past month or so, I've only had two or three cravings for sugar and very high-carb foods. Each time, I've allowed myself some of the food that I've craved (within moderation), and I've never felt so sick to my stomach!

Perfect example: For my birthday, instead of buying/eating an entire cake, I went with my husband to the cupcake shop. We each had two cupcakes and a milk. In the past, two cupcakes would have just been an appetizer for dessert, but that time I felt so sick I had to go home. I haven't had a sugar craving since.

So, I'm feeling great focusing on eating lean protein, fruits, and vegetables. I'm not looking to add in *any* processed foods beyond what's already in my diet. With that being said, I'm also having a lot of trouble eating all of the points WW says I'm allowed. I am given 41 points/day, and I usually eat 20-30 of them.

Is this okay? WW hammers home the point that you *must* eat all your points. No exceptions. But, I feel like I am eating a ton of food, I feel fully satisfied, and I am eating 4-6 times a day. In fact, a lot of times I feel like I have to force myself to eat. Here is a sample day's worth of food with WW points in parenthesis:

Breakfast:
(1)Egg Beaters
(2)Low Fat/Sodium Bacon

Morning snack:
(0) Cup of grapes
(0) Cup of carrots

Lunch
(4) 4 oz. chicken breast
(3) 1 cup homemade tomato soup
(1) 1 tsp. olive oil to cook chicken

Afternoon Snack
(0) 1 medium Apple
(0) 1 cup of asparagus

Dinner
(3) 4oz Tilapia
(0) 1 cup asparagus
(4) 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
(1) 1 Tbsp Butter
(2) 1/4lb. Shrimp

Total: 21

Is it okay to not be eating all my points? Should I be eating more food? If so, what? More protein for snack time? Assuming, 1 oz of lean protean equals 1 WW. I would have to add ~20 more oz. of lean protein to eat all my WW points. That's a lot of meat...

I feel like WW wants me to add in some 100 calories snack packs and some Skinny Cow Ice Cream treats to add some high point values and to round out my point total, but I really don't want to.

(Edit: I asked this exact same question on the WW message board, and I just about tore my hair out reading all the responses. Here is a good sample response: "Maybe add in some starchy veggies with dinner, roasted potatoes, corn, things like that. I also LOVE peanut butter and eat it on rice cakes with bananas. I like the freshly ground peanut butter (just peanuts) and Thin Cakes rice cakes." Ugh...I feel so frustrated. I've eaten all that in the past and either didn't lose weight or gained back what I had lost....not sure why I would eat that now. Plus, I was told I was terrible for not consuming all the dairy and grains WW says I should be eating. I guess WW and Paleo aren't compatible...? If that's the case, it's a shame because I like the accountability of WW.)

Thoughts? Any/all constructive advice is appreciated. I'm new to this...please be nicer than the people on the WW board.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Brian Clarke

Profile:
Re: A Weight Watchers & Paleo Question

I am no expert, but I'd suggest just forgetting about the WW point system. The paleo diet stresses the quality of food, not quantity. It recommends eating when your hungry and until you are full. If you follow these guidelines and are seeing results, then why worry about the points?

In my opinion, the WW system which is only really focused on how much you eat and not food quality is pointless. You can fill up your daily 'points' on crap food and see no or negative results, or you can eat clean and not adhere to the point system (like you seem to be starting to do) and get much better results.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I agree. Seems like you have your own "diet" worked out pretty well. You're eating mostly paleo (eat real eggs instead), eating until you're satisfied, and getting results. Ditch WW
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Clarke View Post
I am no expert, but I'd suggest just forgetting about the WW point system. The paleo diet stresses the quality of food, not quantity. It recommends eating when your hungry and until you are full. If you follow these guidelines and are seeing results, then why worry about the points?

In my opinion, the WW system which is only really focused on how much you eat and not food quality is pointless. You can fill up your daily 'points' on crap food and see no or negative results, or you can eat clean and not adhere to the point system (like you seem to be starting to do) and get much better results.
What Brian said is dead on, quit the points and just focus on paleo. As you've already noticed when you eat REAL food, its really hard to overeat, in fact is is a common problem for people switching to paleo that they eat too little to sustain the kind of training they are doing in this community. WW has taken a further step towards reinforcing this fact with their new points system this year, increasing the point value of processed foods, they finally acknowledge that our body can process calories differently depending on the quality of food.

An excellent place to start is here: http://whole9life.com/2010/05/whole-30-v2/

And seriously, drop the egg beaters. It is a myth that egg yolks will increase your cholesterol (unless you are eating a stupid amount), and though the whites are high in protein they are nutrient deficient (all the eggs nutrients are carried in the yolk), so studies show those who eat whole eggs are MORE likely to lose weight and be healthier as a result because they were left fuller and more satisfied by the whole eggs.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Also, I'm guessing that 2 or 3 eggs will be more points than Egg Beaters in the quantities you're eating anyway.

That being said - if you like the accountability of WW, try a food log. Or adjust the points to 21 (or 23, whatever you're eating now on a regular basis), and then stick to that instead, and stop worrying about the rest.

Start a food journal, post in it daily, and make sure you keep on track that way.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Christy Labrie

Profile:

My mom and sis just started the new WW, so I have a little idea of the new point system- which sounds so much better than the old one.

What about adding a few (2-3)oz to each of your protien portions?

Also get rid of the egg beaters and cook up 3 or 4 real eggs and maybe add another (or 2) slices of bacon.

How does that make your points for the day?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Eat til you're satisfied. If you've been dieting for years your relationship with food and knowing when you're TRULY hungry and full is probably a little skewed. Don't worry about the WW points. See how you feel after a few weeks of merely eating to satiety and reevaluate.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Brian Cox

Profile:

Having done ww (and yeah, I dropped 175 on it, so I won't bash it too much) putting 70 back on and now doing a (woefully) lose paleo I think everybody else is spot on. Assuming the points didn't change too much this iteration that 1 point in fake eggs (hallf a cup?) is the same as 2 eggs which tends to work out around 4-5 points. There's a good chunk of what you "need" to make up right there.

I agree with the "add a few ounces of meat" comment.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I would ignore any diet that says you should "balance out" your good foods by eating 100 calories snack packs and Skinny Cow Ice Cream just to reach some mythical "ideal point total."

Just keep eating good food (as you are, for the most part) in quantities that keep you from being too hungry, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
James White

Profile:

As a former WW'er (lost then gained it back), may I also add another suggestion?

Remember that the number on the scale is simply the force that gravity exerts on your body. There is no such thing as an "ideal weight" dependent on a person's height. The mirror, clothing size, and your perception of yourself are all much better indicators of your body composition than your weight, IMHO. Of course, body fat % would be an outstanding objective measure if you have a way to measure it accurately. Just my two cents. Great job getting the processed crap out of your diet.