CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Jeff Hans Allen

Profile:
Question How am I doing?

First off I'd like to say I'm fairly new to CrossFit (Just over 2 months), I'm 17 years old, 6'1" and weigh 170lbs. Anyway I've been hoping to compete in this years if not next's CrossFit Games. I'm not looking to win, or even do well but more along the lines of doing well enough in sectionals to even qualify. I am not a member of a CrossFit gym and my workouts are self guided. I am not allowed to drop weights at the gym I go to and often have to constantly run around from exercise to exercise. That being said here are some of my times:
Fran: 4:25 as Rx
5k: 21:30
Filthy Fifties: 24:40 as Rx
Half Marathon (Without any training): 1:46:32

Also, how are these times? I don't really have any reference point to know whether they are good or not... Anyways let me know
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: How am I doing?

your doing good keep it up! i think you'll get a better gauge on your progress once you go thru the wods a few times and can compare new times with previous times.

what kind of training are you doing? cf main page? hybrid CF strength? etc....?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hans Allen View Post
Also, how are these times? I don't really have any reference point to know whether they are good or not... Anyways let me know
You can check the comments for the days wod to see how others are doing, and check people's logs in the log section.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Only 3 guys over 6' who made the games last year were under 190lbs. Might want to add some more weight.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Jeff Hans Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
what kind of training are you doing? cf main page? hybrid CF strength? etc....?
Yeah mainly what the CrossFit main page has for the WOD. I sometimes workout with a training partner and he's really into the high intensity stuff and stays away from the 1-3 rep workouts.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Jeff Hans Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Only 3 guys over 6' who made the games last year were under 190lbs. Might want to add some more weight.
Haha I'm trying. Over 3300 calories a day (I struggle though, my moms a nutritionist so it's all high quality calories) and I'm too addicted to the feeling I have after a sweaty CrossFit workout that I only occasionally do higher weights, which I would need to bulk.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah mainly what the CrossFit main page has for the WOD. I sometimes workout with a training partner and he's really into the high intensity stuff and stays away from the 1-3 rep workouts.

i don't believe any of the top contenders do main page CF. pretty sure most do strength work & oly lifts mixed with metcons & sprints. you might want to look into a strength bias program like CFSB or CF football.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Haha I'm trying. Over 3300 calories a day (I struggle though, my moms a nutritionist so it's all high quality calories) and I'm too addicted to the feeling I have after a sweaty CrossFit workout that I only occasionally do higher weights, which I would need to bulk.
That's still not all that much--for me to go from 175lbs to ~210lbs I was eating in the neighborhood of 5500 calories a day for a few months.

What are your strength numbers like? From your previous post you don't seem to like the 1-3 rep stuff but skipping that in favor of "high intensity" all the time is a big mistake in terms of overall fitness or being able to compete at the Games level. Look at the top guys, almost all of them are squatting 400lbs+ and deadlifting 500lbs+, they didn't get that strong from doing a lot of high intensity metcons. Plus you'll have a hard time gaining weight doing a lot of long, silly metcons.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That's still not all that much--for me to go from 175lbs to ~210lbs I was eating in the neighborhood of 5500 calories a day for a few months.

What are your strength numbers like? From your previous post you don't seem to like the 1-3 rep stuff but skipping that in favor of "high intensity" all the time is a big mistake in terms of overall fitness or being able to compete at the Games level. Look at the top guys, almost all of them are squatting 400lbs+ and deadlifting 500lbs+, they didn't get that strong from doing a lot of high intensity metcons. Plus you'll have a hard time gaining weight doing a lot of long, silly metcons.
Here's a good article to read that expands on what Eric said:

http://whole9life.com/2009/12/beware...-sexy-met-con/ (WFS)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Kent Limson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
Here's a good article to read that expands on what Eric said:

http://whole9life.com/2009/12/beware...-sexy-met-con/ (WFS)
Wow awesome article... Thanks!