CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Have I Exhausted Genetics in Linear Progression?

I did SS for two and half months and since then have done CFFB for about a year. I am making gains, albeit slow ones, on the novice programming which has one session of 3x5 Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, and Benches each week. Since my gains are slow (about 5# a week) Im thinking the metcons I do with CFFB might be what's holding me back.

I'm 6'0 tall, 176#. 5RMs:

Squat- 260#
Press- 135#
Deadlift- 320#
Bench- 205#

I'm not sure if doing SS again would be worth it because I've been doing CFFB for about a year now. However I think I still may have some room to gain on SS if I follow it strictly. What do you all think?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Have I Exhausted Genetics in Linear Progression?

I think it might be a good idea, if your gaining weight while on the program.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Ralston Baker

Profile:

If your gaining 5lbs a week on these lifts I would definitely keep with it. That is NOT SLOW Progress!
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
Old 01-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Yes, SS with no met cons will get you stronger. You still have plenty of gains in you.

Disclaimer: This advice is strictly based off your numbers and the average gains of most novices. I dont know you, or anything about you beyond what you posted. If you are serious about getting strong, you should work with a competent coach in real life.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Jason Wallis

Profile:

5lb/week = over 250lb/year... That's not slow, it's crazy fast if you maintain that pace. Your program is working, no need to change until it stops.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Karl Steeves

Profile:

I'm doing 5/3/1 and gaining 5-10 pounds a month. So 5 pounds a week is phenominal, and I would gladly keep those gains for as long as I could if I were you.

This is you as of January 3rd

Squat- 260#
Press- 135#
Deadlift- 320#
Bench- 205#

This will be you by March 28th (if you keep up 5 pounds a week)

Squat - 320
Press - 195
Deadlift -380
Bench - 265
Old 01-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Sorry guys, I must have been zonked out when I posted this. What I meant to say is that the program schedules 5# a week increases but I do not always make them. Ive been hovering in my DL between 310 and 320 5RM for a few months. Same with press and any time my squat gets close to 270 I can't go any higher. Sorry again about my misinformation.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
Sorry guys, I must have been zonked out when I posted this. What I meant to say is that the program schedules 5# a week increases but I do not always make them. Ive been hovering in my DL between 310 and 320 5RM for a few months. Same with press and any time my squat gets close to 270 I can't go any higher. Sorry again about my misinformation.
Well, that changes everything and makes me more inclined to say that dropping metcons might be a good option for a bit. BUT, how are your eating and sleeping habits right now?

Whether you stick with CFFB or switch to SS, 6'0 and 176 lbs is skinny. I promise that it is. And, you might make good progress on either program simply by gaining a little weight.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
David Sumner

Profile:

Colin,
Are you taking any deload weeks, a week away from lifting. Week after week on the SS program will eventually lead to a wall. Take most of a week off from heavy lifting, but maybe on Friday or Saturday do a CrossFit Total. Then go back into another cycle.

Another thing to think about would be your weaknesses on each of the lifts. Is your deadlift failing at the top of the pull or at the floor? Is your tail tucking on the back squats, are your knees collapsing in as you fatigue? If you add accessory work to address your weak links you will unlock continued gains. The common weak links are back strength, abdominal strength, glute activation, and hip flexibility. Work on these areas at the ends of your workouts and you will see some gains.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Ben Kissam

Profile:

I am a big advocate of CFSB if you are interested in maintaining metcon and gaining strength. I would look more at your diet, sleep, and stress before you write it off to the metcons. Some of those metcons on CFFB can be really difficult. I like CFSB because if I'm not feeling up to a killer metcon (like yesterday) I can do a simpler WOD that still improves my Crossfit and doesn't torch my CNS even more (I did death by pullups yesterday). I like having that freedom personally, because my goals are not very metcon-oriented compared to what I want to be able to lift.

Whatever program you decide to do you should be taking in a lot of whole milk (if you can stomach it), meat, veggies, fruit and fat. I've been experimenting with melatonin recently when I sleep and my recovery has been stellar. With my 8-9 hours of sleep I get a night, I can honestly say I've never gotten such good nights of sleep, and I know it's transferring over to my lifting. Make sure you take fish oil too.