CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
Gary Taubes' blog

In light of some of the discussions here about whether fat gain is caused by (among other things) excessive carbohydrate consumption or simply by eating more calories than you expend, some of you may be interested in taking a look at Taubes' blog, which he just recently started. His first entry, The Inanity of Overeating (WFS), uses a crowded restaurant analogy to explain his perspective on why eating more calories than you expend is not an explanation of a causal relationship with weight gain. Simply put, he does not at all dispute that a caloric imbalance occurs during periods of weight gain, but that imbalance is not the cause of the gain. In fact, the weight gain and the caloric imbalance are in some sense the same thing, and he wants to know why that imbalance occurs. As we all know, he feels that carbohydrate consumption plays the major role in causing that imbalance, but whether you agree with that piece or not, the analogy is worth reading just to see why he feels "calories in > calories out" doesn't qualify as a reason for weight gain. This is very much about semantics and how one chooses to frame the question.

And his new book is apparently out tomorrow. Looks like Good Calories Bad Calories in a less daunting volume.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Gary Taubes' blog

This is still my favourite quote about Gary Taubes -

"The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, the more I think Taubes is a supercilious ignorant twat. he's got literally EVERYTHING wrong and anybody relying on 1930's textbooks to make a point is just too stupid to deal with." - Lyle McDonald. (wfs)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Still on the high carb crusade then?

IMHO to say too many carbs cause obesity is disingenuous. Plenty of cultures live on very high carb meals with perfect health, and I think the real issue isn't quantity, or even GI, it's processed foods and inflammation. I would agree though that eating a paleo diet (whatever your view of paleo is) with some calorie excess is unlikely to make you overweight - provided you start from a healthy position.

Have a read of wholehealthsource.blogspot.com
Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

"The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, ...."

I wonder if Lyle has finished the book yet. I'd like to hear something a bit more substantial in the way of a critique, but I guess when you feel someone is too stupid to deal with, it's more effective to just call them names. And more attractive to some readers.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

This is interesting... Lyle is among one of the best in this field. I would not have guessed he would dog on Taubes like that.

I have read all of GCBC, and while yes, his introduction speaks to a 1930's textbook that shows how doctors have always spoken towards starches with regard to their fat-storing properties. This is opposed to dogma of the 90's which held that fat is what stores fat.

I would disagree with McDonald in saying that his argument was based on this... I would like to read more about his opinion.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Profile:

This is what Lyle says about how we get fat:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...e-get-fat.html (WFS)
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
"The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, ...."

I wonder if Lyle has finished the book yet. I'd like to hear something a bit more substantial in the way of a critique, but I guess when you feel someone is too stupid to deal with, it's more effective to just call them names. And more attractive to some readers.
Maybe... but I couldn't get through the linked blog post. I abandoned it as unreadable (and, indeed, supercilious) four paragraphs in. Each of those paragraphs contained at least one insult directed at those who disagree with him.

Not having read it, I'm not going to offer a substantive critique. I'm just going to observe that doing so would be much easier if his point and supporting evidence weren't buried quite so deeply. Since he's a professional writer, he doesn't get much benefit of the doubt: I'm tempted to assume that he buried his argument because it's weak.

Katherine
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'm tempted to assume that he buried his argument because it's weak.
That statement is not worthy of you, Katherine. I know you're better than that.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
This is interesting... Lyle is among one of the best in this field. I would not have guessed he would dog on Taubes like that.
You haven't been following Lyle for too long then. Par for the course from him.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Maybe... but I couldn't get through the linked blog post. I abandoned it as unreadable (and, indeed, supercilious) four paragraphs in. Each of those paragraphs contained at least one insult directed at those who disagree with him.
And thus the Lyle School of Debate, insult anyone that questions or disagrees with you. I'm sure he has some great ideas but his attitude (amongst other things) makes me just tune him out. He strikes me as the type that always wanted to be the bully but was never big enough and now he has found a way to do it.