CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Blake Johnson

Profile:
CFing with a hysterectomy

I am working with a 52 year old highly motivated woman who will be having a hysterectomy in two weeks. She was told by her physician following the proceedure she will never be able to lift heavy things again because 'something could fall out'. Anyone with experience that can debunk or validate that opinion?

Blake- Fergus Falls, MN
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: CFing with a hysterectomy

It's possible that you can get a prolapse..... heavy lifting elevates intra-abdominal pressure which if there is a lot of laxity down there can basically invert out of the vaginal cavity......

You can always have her get a second opinion, but from what I know that one is definitely probably valid. Although it maybe somewhat exaggerated.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

If she doesn't want to accept that verdict, seeking a second/third/etc. opinion isn't unwarranted. I know I'd chase down doctors until I found someone who could do SOMETHING about it (hernia truss, anyone?).
Old 05-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

The uterus isn't a cork that holds everything in.

The condition is pelvic relaxation or genitial prolapse, and it is actually an indication for hysterectomy in many cases.

IMHO, the above advice is baloney. Once healed, say in 6-12 weeks, normal activities can be resumed. WFS: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/264231-treatment http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/267273-treatment
Old 05-16-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

I am 34 yrs old. At 32, I had a total hysterectomy (cervix and uterus) and I had a rectocele repair (prolapse of my rectum into my vagina, sorry TMI). I was told I will get another rectocele in probably 10 yrs since I was so young to get one in the first place. I wasn't given any lifting restriction permantently, but it is common that there may be a lifting restriction to try and prevent a prolapse later down the road. I didn't have a prolapsed bladder at the time, but since my hysterectomy have started developing that (probably from carrying my 25lbs daughter around) The other day jumping rope, I really noticed that. The uterus isn't a cork that holds it all together, but without it you leave empty space for organs to shift. I think especially when the cervix is removed also.
This is just my opinion and my experience.
Although, I don't techincally have a lifting restriction, I tend to err on the side of caution.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Blake Johnson

Profile:

Thanks for the input everyone. Elizabeth was your rectocele repair a result of lifting and how soon following the hysterectomy did it occur?

Blake
Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Blake~ I had the rectocele repaired the same time as I had my hysterectomy. I have 4 kids and had the rectocele before I had my 3rd and
4th kids. So I had it quite awhile, it just slowly got worse over time. I'm not sure how I got it in the first place. I'm just trying to prevent another one! LOL
Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:

Hi all!
I hope to revive this thread. I have an competitive athlete approximately 49yo who will be having an abd hyster in the next three months. We are aggressively working on nutrition and strength training (as well as metcon) for her surgery and post rehab. During this time, I want to work up a post-rehab protocol for her. Possibly looking at alternatives to conventional HRT, supplementation, etc.

Suggestions or places to look? I checked on the PM forum and found nothing so will be starting a thread over there soon.

Elizabeth, any input you can give would be greatly appreciated. Either as PM or on thread.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

I think it would be appropriate to look at rehab from any type of invasive abdominal surgery...
Old 07-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
John Velandra

Profile:

Of course it would... I'm not sure what you meant.