CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Wade Smith

Profile:
Kelly Starrett's Physio/PNF/Injury Training

I am extremely impressed with Kelly Starrett's journal video series (http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/03/...assessment.tpl for most recent in 9-part series) and would love to see this training mandatory for all cert attendees desiring to affiliate.

As one who has been a member of a CF gym, I think having coaches & trainers possess this knowledge would be crucial to injury prevention and training success.

True? Or am I blowing smoke?

Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:
Re: Kelly Starrett's Physio/PNF/Injury Training

His knowledge is big and his videos never seem to get boring.
It's a ton of information packaged in his unique way of presentation so that even a dumb person like me can grasp it.

So I bet it won't hurt. (no pun intended )
Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Matt McCraney

Profile:

Couldn't agree more, the recent Journal entries by Kelly have been nothing short of excellent. I could listen to that guy all day, unbelievably knowledgable and a fantastic communicator. I hope a Kelly Starrett ExPhysioStrechingEtc Certification is in the works, I would go in a heartbeat.

If you like this stuff, check out Kelly's affiliate blog. He has some super content and regularly posts techniques and info on stretching. http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot.com/ wfs

And, I love to PNF people!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

How could you compress Kelly's schooling as a Physical Therapist into a 2 day cert? I'm sure it could be done but what would it become?

Personally, I think this is under the caveat empor laissez faire POV of Coach on his affiliates. Sink or swim.

I would also think that many of the people going to affiliates, the bulk of them are not CFJ subscribers or read the mainsite or paw through all the information available on the affiliate blogs or board. They may follow their affiliate blog and a bit of the mainsite. I'd say 80/20 but it's probably more like 85/15 or 90/10.

If you are one of those 10-20% then look for it in whatever trainer is running the affiliate you are interested in.

Part of this is why I am always fascinated in watching those people that do bodywork, work on athletes. Well, that and besides those people seem to be in a very blissful state during.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Still I think it would be hell of a 2-3 day!

Of course we wouldnt come out with all the knowledge, but with far more than if we never went!

Ill go within the blink of an eye as well,

Kelly , or Bozman ,

If you guys read this thread please let us know when/where is the next time something like that happens, since video 1 I have been curious to where it was done and how come I didnt had the opportunity to actually assist myself!!! Share the luve
Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
Bryant Powers

Profile:

Frederic- We are having Kelly out here to teach in Sept for our coaches and CFers. Now you have a reason to go to Hawaii!!! Email me and I will keep you up to date on the well... the dates.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Morgan Hepfer

Profile:

The best thing I've come up with is to email Kelly about coming to my gym. He'll be in Tacoma this summer, date to be determined. Anyone interested in joining us need only email me and I'll put you on the list.

crossfittacoma@gmail.com

In the meantime, I've contacted a MT in the area to come teach our trainers and any interested members all of this stuff as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Hey wassup Bryant!

Hope all is well on ure side!

thanks for the heads up I should be contacting you or Morgan to ge tmore info...but Hawaii and a 2 week vacation there seems like hell of a nice plan

By the way Bryant still waiting on those stickers!! ahha :P

Stay strong
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah like Blair said its problematic to try to compress 2-3+ years of training into a couple days or videos....

but certain concepts or more prevalent injuries can definitely be noted.

Like anything though you HAVE to be a good trainer to spot certain things wrong with the movements... but then it's just knowing what to do to correct such things. I do think there should be a bit more emphasis on injury prevention/prehab in CF.

Seems like the injuries and such forums get 3+ new posts everyday -- and that's no way indicative of the whole CF nation (probably more). Ironically, this is probably less than most random PT programs...

Last edited by Steven Low : 03-20-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i find this one pretty funny too.

why can't all affiliates be PTs?

So, it takes 2-4 years of full time study, or 5-10 years of *****ing around to gain that kind of knowledge. I have it. My clients benefit from it. I have a rich educational and certification background before I got Crossfit 'certified'. It's mostly why I am a good coach. Level one is fun and all, but I wouldn't expect much out of someone who hasn't/might not pass the level two.

Look for those with a CSCS a few years old, or an RKC, or USAW Club Coach or those who have recently quit training athletes in a facility that is obviously following the Cook/Boyle/Verstegen model and you will have someone with a great tactical base to start implementing the strategic component that makes Crossfit the Mongol Horde of our generation.