CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Paul LaDuke

Profile:
Re: Experiences building a lifting platform

I just finished the last step in putting my platform together. I did the typical 5 sheets of plywood construction w/ a horse stall mat. I did cut the top center plywood to a 42" width because that is the width the York platform (I have 6 in the weightroom where I am the strength coach.) The top plywood is nice AC 3/4" plywood, but the under layers are cheap OSB (aka chip board). They are just over 1/2" thick and were less than $10 per sheet. It is glue and screwed from both sides. This is the typical construction method.

1 thing different that I have done is to attach carpet to the underside of the platform. I have used it several months without the carpet and just stapled the carpet on last weekend (Thank God for pneumatic staple guns!). I must say that it is much quieter. I regularly clean and jerk over 250# so this addition should help with the noise vibrations through the house.

I don't remember where I heard this tip so I can't give credit to anyone, I just know it isn't my idea. I just thought I might pass it along.

1 other thing that I do that might be a little different is that I prop the platform up vertically against the wall when not in use so that the mom-mobile can be park in the garage. This has not been an issue in the 2 months that I have done it!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Robbie Cooper

Profile:

Paul...how much do you think your platform weighs? How easy/difficult is it to push it up out of the way?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Paul LaDuke

Profile:

Robbie,

I would guess that it weights about 200#. But I am only lifting the 1 end of it and pushing it up against the wall. When I am done with a workout (I only perform Oly lifts and squats) it is no problem for me. The only difficulty I have is transitioning from a deadlift type position with palms facing out to popping the platform up to about chest level with palms facing the ceiling. My oly lifting experiences seems to help me out there.

If it becomes a problem for me, I have an idea to use a pulley system to raise it. I was at Harbor Freight Tools last week and noticed a set of metal tie-down fasteners for less than $10. Link is WFS for the "Link Police" on here! I would fasten the 2 of the rings to the top of the platform, put a pulley system high on the wall and pull it up that way. I would disconnect the pulleys when not in use. But so far, I haven't needed to do that.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Josh Satterlee

Profile:

You don't need to get rid of your mats and carpet-just shift them toward the inside (by removing a 2x4) and put a spacer (aka a 2x4) on the outside edge of the "pit". Cut down the center section and you're done. Don't re-invent the wheel!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Salas View Post
I also built my platform with a 3' 3" center, and it's plenty wide. (rubber drop zones are 2' 6" and 5' wide; I just extended one side to cover the entire floor on that side. Personally I don't understand why everyone builds platforms with 4' centers and tiny 2' rubber drop zones. Most Olympic lifting is done with only one or two rubber plates on the barbell, (at least for a Snatch crazy wimp like me) so you're constantly using the inside edge of the rubber. Especially when you build a "soft" landing area like you've done.

You won't like to hear this, but personally I'd rip it apart and rebuild it with a narrower center platform. The modification would be relatively minor since you've done most of the work already...
The advantage of having a wide center is that you can put squat stands on the platform.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #16
Rich Sarcomo

Profile:

I built mine using the standard 5 sheets of plywood plus rubber mat, about 5 months ago. No cutting required. Plywood held together with wood screws and Liquid Nails. Rubber held on with rubber cement. This seems much easier to me than the plywood and 2x4's method.

http://www.disequilibria.com/IMG_3924.JPG

http://www.disequilibria.com/IMG_3925.JPG

http://www.disequilibria.com/IMG_3926.JPG
Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
Christian Salas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
The advantage of having a wide center is that you can put squat stands on the platform.
True, but I personally built a "traditional" platform so it's solid all the way across.

Also, here's my lifting platform on hinges. I use 2 bungee cords to attach it to the wall:

http://picasaweb.google.com/shotparr...tablePlatform#
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #18
Roy Higgs

Profile:

I have a total noob question. Wouldn't plywood be slippery compared to using all stall mats when jumping around doing the OLY lifts? I would be worried my feet would slip out from under me with plywood.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #19
Christian Salas

Profile:

Roy:
Good question. Wood is used in the middle for a few reasons:
1. it compresses less than rubber, so you can lift more weight (albeit not significantly more)
2. It's faster so you can shuffle/slide your feet when moving from the first pull into the catch (wider feet to receive the bar in a lower and more stable position) as well as the split jerk.
3. Also wood has less chance of "catching" your feet compared to rubber.

Maybe these are more concerns for competitive weightlifters, but you will be able to lift more efficiently and with better technique with wood underneath you. Plus it gives a nice "bang" sound when you lift aggressively and stomp your feet

I personally used scrap hardwood for my platform and cross sanded it with 60 grit before polyurathaning it. Otherwise it was too slippery. Also I'm careful to sweep my platform before and sometimes in the middle of my work out to remove any foreign objects that might make me slip. it's so darn cold in the garage right now I hardly sweat, so that's not a problem right now. But in the summer I'll spot wipe it down with a towel between sets. Yes if you're sweating like a hog rubber will give more grip than wood, but it slows you down, which is counterproductive to what the Olympic lifts are all about (pretending I'm Borislav Gidikov in the '88 Olympics in my case)

There's been other threads about treating the plywood, but some have suggested adding sand or other grit when polyurathaning the wood.

Last edited by Christian Salas : 01-10-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Higgs View Post
I have a total noob question. Wouldn't plywood be slippery compared to using all stall mats when jumping around doing the OLY lifts? I would be worried my feet would slip out from under me with plywood.
Rubber has a tendency to "catch" or compress, esp. on heavier lifts.

I have always made my top center layer with a sheet of 1/2" CDX covered by a sheet of 1/4" masonite, rough side up. The masonite provides a smooth enough surface, yet not as smooth as plywood, and makes an ideal lifting surface. Best part: Masonite is cheap, so when it wears out you just replace it. Beats having to apply a poly finish to plywood in order to minimize wear.

Rich, that platform looks really nice!