CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Scot Brown

Profile:
ESPN article: "Think You're an Athlete?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=3739665

Story on ESPN about what it means to be an athlete. I though this would be a good one for Crossfitters to discuss, as he brings up many of the points we base our fitness training around.

Moderators addition: link is work and family safe. Scot, users who post links here are required to indicate their safety status, and to indicate what the link is about (you did that part very nicely).

Please make sure you add the "safe" (or not) designation to every link you post. Unqualified links are subject to being deleted at the moderator's discretion. You got a pass this time because of your low post count.

Last edited by David Wood : 12-05-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: ESPN article: "Think You're an Athlete?"

Somebody needs to email Todd.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

He links to another article in his article (SFW) http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills that ranks the toughest sports...

Can I say how much I disagree with these rankings? Yes, I can. These rankings are terrible. How the hell does rugby come in 13th place?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Tim Luby

Profile:

Ryan Seacrest received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stafford View Post
He links to another article in his article (SFW) http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills that ranks the toughest sports...

Can I say how much I disagree with these rankings? Yes, I can. These rankings are terrible. How the hell does rugby come in 13th place?
I want to know how the author thinks basketball, hockey, boxing, wrestling, water polo, etc require MORE strength than gymnastics!? Have you seen those guys on the rings... i'd like to see a water poloist try that!
Or how gymnastics is near the bottom of ranks in terms of power! How do you think these small gymnasts that can barely look over the vault table can do 2+ flips with 2+ twists without killing themselves. FLAWED!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
I want to know how the author thinks basketball, hockey, boxing, wrestling, water polo, etc require MORE strength than gymnastics!? Have you seen those guys on the rings... i'd like to see a water poloist try that!
Or how gymnastics is near the bottom of ranks in terms of power! How do you think these small gymnasts that can barely look over the vault table can do 2+ flips with 2+ twists without killing themselves. FLAWED!
I just noticed how they conducted the poll. They just asked people to rate each from 1 - 10 and averaged the results. The problem is that most Americans have no idea what rugby is, or how difficult it is to play. Most Americans also think that gymnastics is a "sissy" sport.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Tom Woodward

Profile:

They obviously have no clue what is involved in Olympic Weightlifting either. Lower flexibility rating than golf and lower agiligy (only measure of direction change) than practically everything.

To be fair, I don't think Todd Gallagher was involved in these rankings even though he cited them. By the way, he basically has the coolest "job" in the world, gettting to play dodgeball and pick up basketball with pro athletes. Sounds awesome.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Wow, weightlifting has a lower flexibility and agility rating than distance track and field running. wow....just....wow.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Aaron Trent

Profile:

It's such a subjective term. Most of it is just "blah blah blah", I'm a better athlete than you, or my sport's harder. It's a lot of fluff and BS.
What does it matter if a pro golfer or pro cyclist cannot play D1 ball? Those kids playing D1 have been playing and specializing in football since they were old enough to play pop-warner. Specialize much? Do you really think a running back could play D1 soccer or race a 7 day U-25(all competitors under the age of 25) stage race that covers 420 miles in 6 days? The truth is that all elite athletes have a skill set honed around the demands of their sport and nothing more and will get raped in a different sport by a practitioner of that sport.

I'm pretty sure Marty Nothstein could have played D1 ball if he wasn't interested in Olympic Gold and World Championships
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5580...5A1E4F32AD3138
Old 12-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

We've had at least 3 or 4 threads on the board already that hashed through this topic: "define the greatest athlete" (or, alternatively, define the most "athletic" sport). A couple of those were also stimulated by all the discussion around Michael Phelps (approximately back in August, just after the Olympics).

Hard to find anything new to say by now. That ESPN writer must have been really hard up for a story.