CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
140kg of York Bumpers & more - Need opinions on a price.

NB: There are two responses I don't want to see in this thread:
1. "Nothing, since they don't know what they're worth!"
2. "However much they want; I'd just want the plates!"

If that's all you have to say, please don't bother responding.

There near absolute chance that I will have the opportunity to buy some good weightlifting equipment soon, used. The owners don't know its value; I have an estimate. I'm looking for other people's opinions.

- 140kg York bumper set (2x 25-20-15-10): it's about three years old, and shows serious signs of use and age, though it's not going to fall apart any time soon. The larger denominations have colored duct tap wrapped around them, which is fading, peeling, and ugly looking. Personally, I don't care, but the looks do reduce their value. I'm thinking $275-$300. It's local, so there's no shipping.
- Two 20kg York Oly bars: one has essentially no knurling and one also has a cap on the sleeve that's loose and sticking out, but not going to fall off. I'm not sure if the no knurling and loose cap are on the same bar, or different bars. I've got no idea what kind of quality these bars are, and York bars have a pretty widely varied price range. They do have some spin, but less than my Pendlay CrossFit bar. I'm thinking $50-75 each.
- Bar Rack: white-painted steel, holds eight bars in a vertical gun-rack fashion, and has a latch for a lock to secure them (not sure if I'd be using it, but it's nice to have the option). I'm thinking $20.
- Judges' Lights: This looks like it may be homemade. It's a wooden base with a post coming out of it, and at the top, it has a beam supporting six lights - three white, three red. They're hooked up to switches for judges to use during weightlifting competitions. It's in nice condition and well-built, though I don't know if the lights work or not. Once again, I'm thinking $20.

Any opinions?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
John Kolody II

Profile:
Re: 140kg of York Bumpers & more - Need opinions on a price.

At $300 for the bumpers used that seems more than fair, for 140kg your in the ballpark of $1/lb. You may start slightly lower and see what they do.

$50-$75 for the bars, seems like a good starting point, there is a shop near by that sells used bars for $50 that he gets in on trade when he outfits police, fire, and highschools with new equipment. Hard to tell with out pictures. I have paid $95 for a needle bearing bar no center knurlling.

The bar holder, no idea, start low.

The lights, do you need or want them, see if it could get thrown in the deal.

Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Paul LaDuke

Profile:

Patrick,

Since the bumpers are well worn I would start low. I think your $200 offer is a good place to start. York's black bumpers are made by Kraiburg so do a little research on York and Kraiburg bumpers and start at least at 50% of the lowest price you find on the internet (without including the shipping). I personally wouldn't pay $300 for the used bumpers, I think that is a bit high. Especially since you can get a new set on many websites for a little of $400.

$50 per bar is more than fair. I saw an old York bar sell on Ebay for just over $100 not including the shipping.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Paul
Looking around $200 actually does seem like a much more reasonable starting bid. Pendlay sells 140kg of Hi-Temps for only $509, including shipping. However, this (WFS) place sells an equivalent set of York bumpers for nearly a grand. I haven't been able to get a good estimate of the York ones anywhere else, though knowing that Kraiburg makes them makes it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kolody II View Post
The lights, do you need or want them, see if it could get thrown in the deal.
I know someone for whom they'd make a great Christmas gift.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
David Gray

Profile:

Patrick, when it comes to York bumpers, ask Alison Donnely what price you'd pay her for those bumpers, she's your bottom line on new York equipment. York distributors generally have a generous mark-up, she's the gouge. She had a thread in here just a week or so back talking about Christmas orders, find it and contact her. She'll also understand that you're looking at a sweet deal and won't twist your arm to sell you new stuff, either.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gray View Post
Patrick, when it comes to York bumpers, ask Alison Donnely what price you'd pay her for those bumpers, she's your bottom line on new York equipment. York distributors generally have a generous mark-up, she's the gouge. She had a thread in here just a week or so back talking about Christmas orders, find it and contact her. She'll also understand that you're looking at a sweet deal and won't twist your arm to sell you new stuff, either.
Found the thread, but you mean Allison Foreman, right? Looks like you had a bit of a slip-up there, but thanks for the contact.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:

Patrick,

The current York bumpers are identical to the Kraiburg bumpers which means they have the lighter weight brass sleeves. All they do is stamp York or Kraiburg based on the order.

If they have seen heavy use you can cut the price/lb down to $0.65/lb easy. They may have paid $2.50/lb for them at some point but that was before the wholesale bumper prices were dropped by the CrossFit community.

You may have a find on the bars! Check the diameter etc and post what you find. You can knock the pin out of the cap and put a new pin in to secure the cap, real simple. York has made some sweet bars over the years to include the old split sleeve bars, keep an eye out.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
David Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
...you mean Allison Foreman, right? Looks like you had a bit of a slip-up there
Sigh... early onset of senility But yes, none other than the indubitable Allison Foreman.

Last edited by David Gray : 11-23-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typos and other proofs of early onset of senility
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

Quote:
Sigh... early onset of senility But yes, none other than the indubitable Allison Foreman.
Not to pile on, but I'm pretty sure you also meant Allison is the gauge, not:

Quote:
she's the gouge.
Quite the opposite, by reputation anyway.

To the OP, I would not be aggressive on the bumpers. Those brass inserts + high wear = medium term solution at best. I'd start in the 50's (cents per pound) and wouldn't pay 70. I agree that the bars may be the best part of this deal.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I checked the bumpers today, and they have brass collars. What problems can the brass cause?