CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-10-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
John Daniel

Profile:
How much was it increased, how long did it take, and what methods did you use?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
This process evolved over several years

At the age of 35 (back in 97')I took up martial arts. Very, very stiff to start with. Class stretching was mostly static (like what I did in PE class years ago). Started stretching after class more of the same. About a year into this I started doing PNF stretching (basically 1-stretch until it is uncomf. 2-hold tighten muscle hard for ~5 sec 3-relax and you should be able to move more into stretch, 4- repeat, be careful you can get really sore doing this)

Flexibility gradually improved over the next five years. Buy the book "stretching scientifically" it gives a great overview of why we tighten up how to best increase flexibility. I gradually used more types of flexibility work I can do the full splits front and side and put my palms flat on the ground while standing but don't feel it is necessary to go that far (this is much more than I could ever do in my youth). While I worked hard to get this flexibly, I no longer believe that it is really that beneficial other than to say you can do it. For example I never kicked that high in sparring, felt it left me too vulnerable to counter.

I now do not spend much time stretching maybe 30-60 minutes total per week but I am now maintaining. I get most of my flexibility in my exercise moves such as very very deep OHS for my warmups and pvc stretches for my shoulders, skin the cats, samson stretch.

With my base of flexibility and doing the moves that crossfit demands I require very little extra stretching
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I considered myself, having done yoga and stretching as advised for exercise, to be pretty flexible. Touching my hands to the floor, doing bridges, etc. were standard for me. Then I began doing O lifts! That was a shocker to me and the realization struck that "flexibility" as taught my the community at large is bogus. I'm with Mr. Van de Walker, do the lifts he describes and you'll be in another world that many no nothing of.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I feel I have significantly increased my flexibility. I notice it mainly in pull-ups, deep squats, and overhead squats.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I do not have the splits, but I am close. I have been chasing the splits for 3 years or so, and finally feel like I know enough about stretching my body to get it. I bought Stretching Scientifically, read it once, and never touched it again. My opinion: get it from the library, don't buy it. The most you'll ever learn about stretching is by spending months or years stretching different ways, learning and trying new things from the internet, and refining your experience.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I gained my flexibility around 18-20, however I have many students/clients that have gained flexibility after 40, some after 50. It takes diligence and consistency mainly. Stretch regularly. Do movements that demand effective ROM. Patience and diligence. If you train/coach people, stretch with them as often as possible when you're not physically assisting.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Dan Colson

Profile:
Practice and learn the Olympic lifts. I have pretty tight shoulders as a result of years of bodybuilding type stuff, (I curse those days with every WOD), I have set personal goals for the snatch and clean and jerk as a result I try to practice them at least 2x week, Am I the most flexible guy out there, no way, but I consider myself functionally flexible I have no troble recieveing the snatch in a A to A OH squat etc.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Almost all of my students gain flexibility from coming to my Martial Art Classes.

(all my students are adults).
Old 11-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Richard Meller

Profile:
Although I was a quarter miler in high school, I was never very flexibile and my flexibility declined with age. At age 46 I took up yoga and after 6 months my flexibility surpassed my high school level. After taking up Crossfit 7 months ago, at age 49, my flexibility has taken another siginificant step forward, although I have also begun to realize how far I still have to go when I do O lifts.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
Melvin Newman

Profile:
I also took up martial arts @ 36 and my flexibilty was increased. I stretch before class which was only once a week a couple min before I went to bed and when I woked.

(Message edited by heavy06 on November 12, 2006)