CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Bryan Lindquist

Profile:
Cardio and Fat

I'm new to Crossfit and have been spending my time at Gold's learning the exercises.

The other day I walked in and the "Personal Trainers" had written "To Much Cardio Can Make you Gain Fat!" on their little white board.

I don't really know where they get that info. Does anyone know where they might be getting that idea? Seems to me to much cadio would tend to cause muscle mass loss. This would make your fat content look higher but only becaus ethe ratio of fat to muscle has changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 08-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Cardio and Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lindquist View Post
The other day I walked in and the "Personal Trainers" had written "To Much Cardio Can Make you Gain Fat!" on their little white board.

I don't really know where they get that info. Does anyone know where they might be getting that idea?
Wow, kudos to those trainers. You have to take another couple of logical steps to make that statement bear out (as written). However, people who do too much cardio are often fat.

You can get the same info easily. Go observe a step/spin/whatever class. Many of the participants attend religiously, spending 4-5 hours a week in class (on top of 4-5 hours a week of machine/cardio work in the gym). What do they look like? Hell, what do the instructors look like?

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 08-26-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
You can get the same info easily. Go observe a step/spin/whatever class. Many of the participants attend religiously, spending 4-5 hours a week in class (on top of 4-5 hours a week of machine/cardio work in the gym). What do they look like? Hell, what do the instructors look like?
Correlation does not equal causation (WFS)
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

hmm... I'd call it a half-truth.

Too much cardio can lead to muscle mass loss, which in turn burns less calories while at rest. So you burn lots of calories running, but fewer during the other 23 hours of your day. Maybe the running makes up for it, maybe not.

If you do what a lot of people do, which is hit the cardio hard and try to reduce calorie intake simultaneously, you can make it worse by affecting not only your muscle mass, but forcing your sytem to adapt to what amounts to starvation. Then, if you fall off the wagon your body freaks out and stores everything it can, and it can take a long time to re-adapt your body to something healthy.

this one reason why the CF-style metcon works so well... it's short, and it involves much higher loads than what is traditionally called "cardio" while still working your cardiovascular system very, very hard.

I think it depends a lot on bodytype/metabolism and your baseline fitness level too. If you're deconditioned enough, even running (or walking!) will add lean mass... all goodness. If you're a typical big guy who's pretty strong but has a beer belly, you'll probably lose some lean mass... odds are you pack on fat fairly easily, too. So if you eat the same, the running might not help. If you're a skinny guy like me, the problem with too much cardio is trying to KEEP enough fat to stay healthy.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
hmm... I'd call it a half-truth.

Too much cardio can lead to muscle mass loss, which in turn burns less calories while at rest. So you burn lots of calories running, but fewer during the other 23 hours of your day. Maybe the running makes up for it, maybe not.

If you do what a lot of people do, which is hit the cardio hard and try to reduce calorie intake simultaneously, you can make it worse by affecting not only your muscle mass, but forcing your sytem to adapt to what amounts to starvation. Then, if you fall off the wagon your body freaks out and stores everything it can, and it can take a long time to re-adapt your body to something healthy.

this one reason why the CF-style metcon works so well... it's short, and it involves much higher loads than what is traditionally called "cardio" while still working your cardiovascular system very, very hard.

I think it depends a lot on bodytype/metabolism and your baseline fitness level too. If you're deconditioned enough, even running (or walking!) will add lean mass... all goodness. If you're a typical big guy who's pretty strong but has a beer belly, you'll probably lose some lean mass... odds are you pack on fat fairly easily, too. So if you eat the same, the running might not help. If you're a skinny guy like me, the problem with too much cardio is trying to KEEP enough fat to stay healthy.
You hit the nail on the head.

All the fitness classes at my gym are basically cardio with some muscle endurance thrown in (pump and sports) and I see this all the time. There are women who literally do 2 classes a day, 5 or 6 days a week and their bodies never change. In fact, some of them have put on a few pounds each year and it is noticeable. when the holidays come and they can't get in as often because of school/family obligations, it really shows.

They are basically wasting away all their fat burning ability by doing intense cardio and no intense strength training. The only exception are the girls who actually use a lot of weight in the pump classes, one in particular does her 5 minute squat stretch with 60 lbs on the bar and she looks great. (I call them girls, but they are my age, mid-thirties to mid-forties.)

If you compare marathon runners to sprinters, sprinters generally have less bodyfat. Marathon runners "look" leaner, but they have no muscle mass.

Last edited by Sara Fleming : 08-26-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

It depends on the meaning of "too much". If they mean too much time on the stairmaster, jogging a 10 min mile, or a body pump class, they yes I would agree for the reason listed above. If by "too much" they mean intensity, then the statement would be incorrect.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 08-26-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I'm gonna hire C.Street to be my editor
Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
OH MY GOD!!!! GLOBAL WARMING IS KILLING ALL THE PIRATES!!!! This is reason enough for me to endorse Al Gore and Hippies everywhere in fighting Global Warming! I mean for the love of God think of the PIRATES!!!!

That gave me quiet the laugh

-Robert
Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Gant is saying the same thing we do, take a bunch of people, make them do a structed activity (CF, LSD, body pump, P90, Xbox, etc) and observe the results. Granted there are more variables here then the activity (diet, stress and recovery, genetics), but if 90% of the class is fat, and they've been doing it for at least 2 months, I would stay away.

Another thought, since hormonal profile can effect the results of excersize and personality, could it be that people that are drawn to CF are more likely to be fit no matter that we do? Or, does the controversial nature of the program elict a hormonal response, much like that experienced by the fans of the winning team, that aids in improving fitness?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

I too am concerned for the pirates. Is their a fund or charitable organization I can give to that will protect the pirates?

I'm going to write my congressman right now and get some legislation passed!

-Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Reto Corfu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
OH MY GOD!!!! GLOBAL WARMING IS KILLING ALL THE PIRATES!!!!
Actually, the x-axis normally represents the independant variable, so the graph should be interpreted as implying that a lack of pirates is leading to warmer average global temperatures. (Global Temperatures are dependant on Pirate Population --> Pirates are Cool)